Style > Fashion

Fashion Forward: Highlights From Paris Fashion Week 2024

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Paris Fashion Week, held twice a year, is a huge event in the fashion calendar, showcasing the latest trends and designs from renowned designers and emerging talent. This season, the event was marked by stunning collections, bold statements, and a celebration of creativity that captured the essence of modern fashion.

Beauty meets fashion

This year’s Paris Fashion Week showcased not only groundbreaking fashion but also the powerful presence of L’Oréal, which emphasized the connection between beauty and style. L’Oréal’s involvement highlighted the importance of cosmetics in enhancing runway looks and personal expression. My favorite moment was definitely when the iconic Viola Davis stole the show on the runway!

Eco-Conscious Efforts

Sustainability continues to be a major focus in the fashion industry, and many designers used the platform to highlight eco-friendly practices. Brands like Stella McCartney showcased collections made from recycled materials and sustainable fabrics. Their commitment to being eco-friendly struck a chord with critics and audiences, sparking meaningful conversations about the future of fashion.

Diversity and Inclusion

This season also emphasized diversity on the runway. Designers cast models of various ethnicities, sizes, and backgrounds, showcasing a more inclusive representation of beauty. The presence of LGBTQ+ designers and models further enriched the narrative, reflecting a broader acceptance and celebration of individuality in the fashion world.

Nostalgic Comeback

While innovation was a key theme, many designers also drew inspiration from the past, reviving some iconic styles. Vintage influences were evident in collections like Yves Saint Laurent and Givenchy, merging classic designs with modern trends. This nostalgic approach proved that fashion is deeply influenced by history and will continue to be inspired by it.

The Power of Accessories

Accessories played a big role in this season’s collections. Statement bags, oversized hats, and bold jewelry were essential components that complemented the outfits. Designers like Gucci and Loewe focused on craftsmanship, creating pieces that not only completed the looks but also stood out as art.

Street Style Influence

The streets of Paris became a runway of their own, as celebrities and influencers showcased their personal styles. Street style this season was characterized by a mix of high fashion and casual wear, with bold patterns, vibrant colors, and daring combinations. Here are some of my favorite looks:

Gemma Chan (9th pic) + Sophia Wilde(16th pic)
4th & 7th Look!
2nd & 4th Look!

Conclusion

Paris Fashion Week remains a vibrant platform for creativity and innovation in the fashion industry. The highlights of this season reflect a shift towards sustainability and inclusivity, all while celebrating the rich history and artistry of fashion. As designers continue to challenge norms and redefine boundaries, the future of fashion looks both exciting and promising. Whether through diverse collections or innovative collaborations, Paris Fashion Week continues to inspire and set the tone for the global fashion landscape.

Mal Fong

U Conn '28

Mal Fong is a Freshman Psychology major studying at the University of Connecticut. She's involved in Fashion Society, Psychology Club, and Hall Council. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she loves to crochet, listen to music, thrift, and hang out with friends. She is excited to be apart of Her Campus and can't wait to bring her articles to readers!