Apartment Hunting Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

When discussing the dorms, it’s safe to say that they get old quick.  So, unless you’re an RA and actually getting paid to live in one, you’ll most likely be on the look-out for somewhere off campus.  Apartments are naturally one of the first options.  Having gone through the stress of locating a worthy abode myself, I have put together a few tips to hopefully make the hunt for an apartment a little less painful.

1. Office.  Do not be intimidated by the prospect of being an adult and going in to a companies’ office.  This is the best place to find out accurate information that may not have been released yet.  If you’re getting started early, for instance, the office will have a listing available of all the units they own.  This listing will have addresses, number of occupants, and prices.  Since most of this information is not posted online until after the places become available around January, this is a great way to be prepared and ready to apply when things open up.     
2. Roommate Responsibility.  You cannot control the actions of other people.  That being said, be sure you can count on the people you plan to live with.  Being caught in a situation where one person isn’t getting their application in can leave you stressed and anxious.  Worse-case scenario, their lack of timeliness could lose you the apartment you’d been planning on, leaving you scrambling to locate a new place. 
3. Double Check.  If you are sending things into a company through the mail, be smart about it.  Things get lost in the mail all the time!  If you have to pay a fee, send a check so that you always have the option of canceling.  Also, it is not up to the employees of the office to call you and ask when applications and forms will be in.  That duty lies soley with you and your roommates.  A week after sending everything in, take five minutes to call in and make sure everything was received.  This way, you won’t have a nasty surprise when you go in to finalize your apartment.    
4. Ask Around.  Whether it is friends, classmates, or coworkers, you are bound to know someone who already lives in an apartment.  Inquiring about the residence these people live in is one of the easiest ways to find out information about an apartment and its company.  From a tenant, you can learn about prices, perks, and short comings of an apartment complex.  So, don’t be afraid to get a little nosy and ask people about where they live!

Well, that’s all the advice I’ve got for you on searching for an apartment.  Good luck to everyone out there who is trying to find a place off campus.  It may be tough, but the relief you’ll feel after you sign the lease and are done is well worth the trouble.  Happy hunting!

I am a student at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism with a double major in English. I have always loved to read and write. I am a member of Ed on Campus with Iowa and it is this group that has really sparked my interest in magazines. Once I graduate from Iowa I hope to be hired at a magazine corporation such as Meredith or Hearst.