From a Guy’s Perspective: Things that can make a girl AWESOME that she doesn’t know about

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Originally I was going to go ahead and write about “How to get a guy in 10 days”, talking about how girls might meet guys and ideas for going out and stuff like that, but this is almost the same thing. This is going to be a list that will shock some girls out there, but I have never encountered a guy who says having any of these qualities would hurt.

1.            A great (or at least similar) taste in movies. Guys tend to tolerate movies that girls want to watch, usually in the hopes that it will lead to something more. The best example of this is The Notebook. There is no man in the history of ever has genuinely enjoyed The Notebook, nor has one watched it voluntarily on his own or among a group of other men (unless he had sex with them later). Yes, there are some exceptions. Some guys will like some movies that are designed for girls (for me 10 Things I Hate About You and Love Actually), but more often then not a guy will go into a romantic comedy or whatever kind of movie with a negative attitude, so a girl with a great taste in movies? AMAZING.
            I met a girl recently whom I was certain I would marry after going into her room and seeing two posters on her wall: Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Back to the Future. Even if I didn’t know this girl, even if I didn’t like like her right away, I would at least want to hang out with someone who fell off the awesome tree and landed in the floor below me and I hope isn’t awkwardly reading this article.
            I’m not saying to lie about movies you like (well, maybe), but maybe think about listing your top five differently, starting with the ones you like that they might like.
Example of a bad top-5 list:

1. The Notebook
  2.  The English Patient
  3.  Breakfast at Tiffany’s
  4.  Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
  5.  Hairspray

Example of a good top-5 list:

1. Billy Madison
  2. Fight Club
  3. Mean Girls
  4. Back to the Future
  5. (500) Days of Summer

The good thing about this list is that it is not clearly just a guys list of favorite movies, but at the same time includes more then enough super awesome ones to make it glorious for a guy to hear.

2.             The ability to talk/hold a conversation: So dumb bimbos aren’t really fun and one reason is because they never talk about anything interesting. They like to talk about themselves or that one time they got drunk or OH MY GOD I love those shoes or IT’S SO COLD (in my mini-skirt) and I DON’T KNOW WHY. Stuff like that that they think a guy cares about hearing. They don’t.
            We don’t.
            Seriously.
            No.
            The best thing to talk about is not defined. It’s not the same for everybody and the best thing to do would be to talk about something that is interesting to you, but you also think would be interesting to the guy. Being able to bring something interesting to the conversation, whether it be past life experiences or your own opinions is a great thing to have happen.
            It’s pretty tough to tell whether or not someone is smart right off the bat, which is where conversations come into play. If someone can barely maintain a conversation with you, then its pretty likely you’re going to assume they aren’t smart, and few (good) guys actually want to date (not just beast out a one-night stand) a girl who is dumb. Date her and have any expectations of staying with her.

3.             Playfulness: A girl has to be fun. Yes, girls are always fun when you make out with them and whatever, but girls have to be fun from doing things that are not just sexual, otherwise all that a guy is going to want to do with the girl is something sexual.
            For some odd reason it is amazing to just be able to say to a girl, “Do you wanna fight?!” and for her to respond, “Hell yes! Right now!”
            No, I’m not encouraging men and women to get into fist fights (unless it’s an awesome situation that could be cool to watch), but I am saying its nice to be able to be sarcastic and playful and with someone who knows when you’re joking around.
            This all also has to do with the sense of humor of a girl. Not much disappoints a guy more then a girl who doesn’t laugh at any jokes that he says. And even if it doesn’t disappoint a guy, it will make a guy think that a girl doesn’t like him if she doesn’t laugh at his joke.

Peter Frankman is an underclassman at the University of Iowa from Burbank, California. He has a few addictions in his life: writing, reading, heavy metal, Adult Swim, and any movie with zombies. He joined The University of Iowa's Her Campus team as the writer of the "From a Guy's Perspective" articles in January 2011 and hasn't looked back since (except to make sure he doesn't write the same article twice). Peter's a major in both Journalism and Creative Writing and hopes to become a writer in some way, shape or form after he graduates. That or the President of the United States, he hasn't really focused too much to say anything decisive yet... or maybe he has, we're not quite sure. If he had to choose a night of guilty pleasures it would include the Beastie Boys, Monster Import: Light, Zebra Cakes, and a marathon of subpar movies that he thinks are amazing (Blade, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fast and the Furious, etc).
Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.