How To: Create the Perfect Makeup Bag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Collecting makeup is like collecting lint.  You don’t really notice how much is there until a grimy dust starts to coat the inside of your makeup bag. By that point, you realize your eye shadow has broken into hundreds of pieces; your eyeliner as smeared across every product and your mascara…is nine months old.  It’s time for a makeup overhaul.  Before investing in any new products, throw out any makeup that’s more than 6 months old, clean off any brushes or eyeliner pencils with rubbing alcohol and wash the inside of your makeup bag or drawer with warm soapy water.  Then it’s time for some fun.  You don’t need the whole MAC store to have a complete makeup collection, just a few essentials.

1. Mascara. This is an obvious.  But, stick with one or two store-bought brands that you’ve found previous success with.   High-end cosmetic brands (like Lancôme or Estee Lauder) may seem tempting, but generally their $20 bottles deliver the same results as $7 store-bought brands such as Cover Girl or Maybelline. Always stick with black mascara, unless you have very pale, pinkish skin and naturally light-brown eyelashes.  Suggested Product: Cover Girl Lash Blast.
  2.  Eyeliner.  One pencil and one liquid.  Use pencil on the outside of your eyes during the day for a subtle effect.  At night use the pencil across your whole lid and smear for a smoky effect or break out the liquid liner and create sexy cat-eyes. Stick to black, but keep the liner thin and subtle during the day.  Like mascara, store-bought brands will work just as well as professional brands. Suggested product: NYC Pencil & Liquid in black (only 99 cents!).
  3. Blush. Blush can seem daunting-what color do I choose? What part of the cheeks do I put it on? But it’s actually a simple product. Stick to a multi-tonal blush that has lots of pink-pigments; too red and you’ll look feverish. Suck your face in like a fish and sweep from the edge of your cheekbone up to end near your ear. Avoid bronzer unless it’s summer, the shimmer will look unnatural during winter months. Suggested Product: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Blends in fresh.
  4. Foundation: This is a product most girls get wrong.  In your 20’s, there is no need to use a thick, liquid foundation-it will give a cakey, stage-makeup impression, that sometimes makes you look even older than you are. Opt for a light powder foundation. This is product that it’s okay to invest a bit more money in because finding a perfect match for your skin tone is vital for an au-natural look.  Suggested Product: Bare Minerals Original foundation
  5. Lip-gloss. Every day use a chap stick with an SPF, but for nights on the town stick to a glossy lip color.  Matte lipstick can also give an “old” appearance, so stick to a tube with sheen. If you love bold lips, try a bright red lipstick at night, but otherwise, keep it simple.  Suggested Product: Neosporin Lip Health (everyday chap stick), MAC Tinted Lipglass.
  6. Eye Shadow. Eye shadow is the best way to stand out, because it’s hard to go really overboard. Invest in a foundation specific for eyes, then go hog wild. Start with a highlighter to use on the inside of your eyes and under your brows, and then blend with darker shadows (the deepest color should be at your corners). Don’t be afraid to experiment with purples, blues, greens and oranges, depending on your skin tone.  Just general rule of thumb, the paler your skin, the cooler the tone. The darker your skin, you can amp it up with warmer tones such as yellows and oranges.  Suggested Product: MAC eyeshadows and pigments (they are expensive, but will last months and their artists will help you find your perfect color combo). 
Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.