How To: Eliminate Unnecessary Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It is inevitable: as college students, we undergo daily stressors in which we claim to be unavoidable. Sure, stress can take a toll on our minds and bodies but instead of allowing this devilish demon to drag you down, take some control. There is no need for you to “forget” about working out one week and later blame it on the treacherous amounts of homework lying at your fingertips. For cases like these, I can bet you are a procrastinator—knowingly do something else such as color code your closet while a blank word document stands alone on your computer screen. It is actually quite humorous how some of us confidently walk into interviews explaining how great we are with time management skills and organization. I’m sure if those interviewers took a stroll through our day-to-day routines, they would experience a tumultuous ride through procrastination and unchecked “to-do” lists. We are all guilty of it: taking anger and frustration out on our boyfriend, calling our mom shedding inconsolable tears, or diving into a few too many martinis on Friday night making for a shameless Saturday of hangover food and movie marathons.  And these are the results of stress—sound about right? Here are some helpful tips to add some structure and organization to your life. Rid away the stressors that bring out the bitchiness in you—but hey, at least it happens to the best of us!

Create a USEFUL “To-do” List
For many of us, a to-do list consists of a few bullet points reviewing what we would like to accomplish during the day. If you aimlessly write random tasks down with no intention of actually completing them, try taking a more organized approach. I typically take my own personal three step approach: (1) prioritize (2) schedule (3) execute. Take a minute to think about urgency and what needs to get done opposed to what you want to get done. In addition to a list format, try numbering the items on your list making it easier to actually check them off. To format your list in an organized fashion, include when and where for each task. And always include deadlines…this allows for a more “real” feel which can eliminate last minute procrastination. The most useful list format for me is ABC method: “A” is for what NEEDS to get done, “B” is for what you would LIKE to get done, and “C” for everything else. You will be checking things off in no time!

Setting Realistic Goals
Setting goals can sometimes feel out of our hands and left more to the imagination, but this may be because we set subjective goals. Subjective can be used on the weekend saying, “I want to have fun.” These general statements will not work in other parts of your life—you need to find more objective and measurable goals. Setting and later obtaining goals limits tremendous stress. It is most important to create goals that provide direction, enhance motivation and include strategies to help stick to each specific ambition. Don’t hesitate in setting goals due to fear of failing. College is the time to do it, so embrace the possibilities.

Be Assertive, Not Aggressive
In eliminating stress responses between yourself and others, the key is maintaining effective communication. Sometimes, the tone of your best friend’s voice or the way they cross their arms may send the wrong signal. It is important to be assertive in all communication to help reduce unwanted stress—this could mean expressing your needs for when you can and cannot take an extra shift at work. On one end, you do not want to be a push-over and on the other, you want to steer away from satisfying your needs at others’ expense—in other words, being overly aggressive. When it comes down to it, respond rather than react.

These effortless steps may be your ticket to stress free weeks. The pure enjoyment of a few cold ones or spending an entire Saturday doing nothing will eventually feel not so guilty. Good luck and get organized!

Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.