her-campus-clubs
her-campus-clubs
Canva
Style > Beauty

2023 is the Year of DIY: 3 Beauty Treatments You Can Do at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Having my eyelashes, nails, and eyebrows done always makes me feel so confident. The only downside is that keeping up with them consistently is so expensive! However, with a little bit of practice, you can do these three treatments yourself for so much cheaper. Follow along to find out three beauty treatments you can do at home!

1. Eyebrow Tinting

The first beauty treatment you can do at home is tinting your eyebrows. A professional eyebrow tint generally costs around $30 or $40, but you can do an eyebrow tint yourself for $10. All you need is one product: “Just For Men” beard dye.

The first thing you do is follow the instructions to make the dye mixture, which is a very simple process. Next, you’re going to want to find an angle brush that you don’t use anymore. Then you’re going to dip the brush in the dye. Then, start painting in your eyebrows like you would with brow makeup. After you do both ends of your eyebrows, do the front part. This way the front will process for a shorter time and it will come out lighter than the ends. You’re going to keep this on for 5-10 minutes depending on how dark you want your brows to be, but I usually only do 5 minutes. It also helps to have some Vaseline and Q-tips handy just to clean up any mistakes. You can wipe off the dye with a makeup wipe after it’s processed, and you’re finished! A perfect eyebrow tint at home.

2. Nails

The second beauty treatment you can easily do by yourself is your nails. On average, a full set of fake nails at the nail salon will cost you around $40. However, you can get supplies for around $20, and be able to do a full set of nails on multiple different occasions. This nail kit from Amazon is an easy way to do nails that look like you got them done at the salon but is cheaper and quicker. The glue in the kit lasts up to 30 days, so the process is definitely worth it. Doing your own nails is something that takes practice, and it took me a few tries to do it correctly, but I have some tips so you don’t have to make the mistakes I did.

First, make sure to use a nail file and buff down your natural nail, along with the fake one. This is so the fake nail will stick better and stay on longer. Next, if you’re feeling like you want to take the process to the next level, get a cuticle pusher and clipper. This will make the nail application so much easier because you will have more space on your natural nail.

3. eyelash extensions

The last treatment you can do yourself is eyelash extensions. Personally, I love getting my eyelashes done. But, the treatment can be really bad for your natural eyelashes. It’s nice to take a break from professional extensions and do an alternative eyelash extension treatment at home. Professional extensions cost around $80 or more, while the at-home alternative costs just under $20.

The lashes I found can last up to a week, and you can even clean and reuse them. They’re a lot cheaper than lash extensions, and they don’t ruin your natural lashes.

CPL Sections MAKEUP?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team

These three easy treatments can help you save money, and still feel confident. Most of these products you can get on Amazon, or find in CVS or Sally’s Beauty! The entire process would cost you around $50, and all of these products you can use more than once.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Gabby is a journalism and communication double major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She enjoys hobbies such as painting, cooking, skiing, and hiking!