Wellness > Mental Health

5 Things I Did When I Didn’t Want To Do Anything: Living With Depression

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

In my personal experience with mental illness, I’ve found that a depressive episode is arguably one of the more challenging psychological hardships to work through.

Depression deteriorates your motivation, yet the methods I’ve utilized to terminate a depressive episode all seem to require the energy I’ve felt I’ll never retain.

I’ve found that indulging in social outings, maintaining personal hygiene, and getting out of the house to all be extremely helpful steps in ending a depressive episode. Yet, it feels like depression steals every ounce of motivation from a once-motivated person.

So, how does this cycle come to a halt?

In my experience with diagnosed depression, I have found the following tips to be incredibly helpful in breaking the cycle.

setting attainable goals

The biggest mistake I have made throughout my journey with depression is setting unrealistic goals for myself. It’s been an easy mistake to make, and an even easier one to repeat. However, setting realistic goals, often nicknamed “SMART” goals, has been a fantastic way to begin a healing journey. 

SMART” stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-based. These goals allow those coping with psychological disorders to create realistic goals to assist with treatment plan progression. 

On many occasions, I have found myself abandoning a goal because I felt intimidated by the motivation and perseverance required. These “SMART” goals have allowed me to accomplish my goals and, therefore, empowered me to create others.

building a routine

When I find myself in a depressive state, it’s usually characterized by rotting away in my bed, binging on guilty pleasure reality TV, and heavy carb-loading. While this routine can initially feel exhilarating, the high quickly ceases and leaves me feeling empty, lonely, and worthless.

Creating a well-rounded, detailed routine has been an effective first step toward recovery for me. I’ve gone about this in many different ways. Making a checklist, setting alarms for every part of my day (and I mean every single step), and writing in my agenda daily have all been effective methods for keeping on top of my schedule.

sticking to it!

It’s far easier said than done, but sticking to the routine I create has been the only way for this coping skill to be effective in my experience.

Feelings of immediate gratification that come from watching TikTok for an extra hour or taking a three-hour nap have been only temporary and had rapidly approaching expiration dates.

So, when you too experience a “should I?” moment about a time commitment, I suggest sticking to it. In my experience, the feelings of guilt that follow bailing on a plan are not worth the temporary rush of pleasure. Need >>> want.

saying “yes”

When a loved one reaches out to make plans with me, I take advantage of the opportunity to socialize. As much as I would like to stay home with my cat and do absolutely nothing when I’m feeling depressed, I’ve found that getting out of my environment and being around people who care about me can help break me out of a depressive episode.

It’s undeniably tempting to say “no.” The motivation it takes to get out of bed, get myself relatively ready, and actually socialize can often feel like an out-of-reach, unachievable PR. However, it is possible. When I challenged myself, I found that I could do much more than I thought capable.

I got out of bed. I did the things that made me feel cared for: applying a face mask, styling my hair, or simply changing out of my pajamas. I’ve found that doing anything to make myself feel more confident in leaving the house has been a successful first step to committing to a plan.

crying it out

I know from personal experience that it can sometimes feel easier to turn off your emotions completely than to allow them to temporarily overtake you. But, letting your emotions out in the form of crying can feel relieving. So when I’m feeling depressed, I let the floodgates burst open.

This may sound masochistic, but sometimes I’ll even put on my sad song playlist to get the waterworks started. So let Taylor Swift take the rails by blasting “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version)” and “Dear John.” It’s basically free therapy!

ryan gosling and margot robbie in barbie movie
Warner Bros

At the end of the day, I’m in charge of my life. This even includes when it feels like my depression has taken the wheel.

And I have the power to take it back. So I do what I need to, not what I want to. Whether I schedule a therapy session, go out with my friends, or even take a lowkey self-care day to myself, I do what I feel is best for me.

It can even be fun. I’ll light a candle, play my favorite music, and the most important step of all; I take care of myself, my body, and my mind. Because I matter, and so does my mental health.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Amelia Maggiore

U Mass Amherst '24

Amelia Maggiore is a senior psychology major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Her favorite topics to write about include lifestyle, mental health, and pop culture. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her friends, family, and fur baby, Penelope! Amelia was born with a life-threatening dairy allergy that temporarily tainted the joy in her life. But, through therapy and the support of her loved ones, she was able to overcome her hardships. Now, she lives a well-balanced lifestyle that allows her to be social, happy, and healthy!