This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Boston chapter.

We must all face the choice between what’s right and what’s easy.

Plastic is one of the most universal and versatile substances made by man. What would we do without it? We get takeout from our favorite restaurants in plastic containers and buy mineral water in fancy plastic bottles. It’s affordable, convenient, and easy to use. Why should we think twice about it?

Plastic now dominates the earth, especially single-use plastic. As it cannot be completely recycled or disintegrate completely due to its artificial properties, it is conveniently discarded in oceans and landfills, where they are not easily seen. In the process, plastics clog the earth and marine life. Newspapers report on turtles mistaking floating plastic bags for jellyfish and trying to eat it, resulting in intestinal blockages and eventual death by starvation. We have also seen sea animals get caught in plastic fishing nets, with their limbs getting cut off as they struggle to break free. Microplastics are also seen in the human body, due to our excessive use of plastics in processing and storing food. It’s a possibility that microplastic substances in our body are blocking the affective breaking down and assimilation of food in our body, leading to short and long-term health issues.

What’s the solution? Use reusable materials such as pretty and quirky stainless steel takeout containers and thermos for food, water, and drinks. Bring your own cutlery also! Many campuses across the United States and Canada have implemented creative and strategic waste minimization practices by launching digital education and awareness campaigns and spearheading waste minimization and zero waste activities. The University of Massachusetts Boston has drinking water fountains across campus where you can fill up your flasks and thus, stay healthy by drinking as much water as you want, all day. Starbucks offers stylish reusable mugs that you just need to remember to pop in your backpack before you start your day. Baristas will be more than happy to make your cappuccino in your reusable mug.

Climate change due to environmental degradation is real, and we are contributing to it by our heavy use of single-use plastics. We may not be around to bear the brunt of climate change, but our children and grandchildren will be forced to live a reality that they did not contribute to.

Reshma Iqbal

U Mass Boston '25

Reshma is a student at University of Massachusetts Boston. Prior to joining the University of Massachusetts Boston, she majored in Psychology and Communications in India and worked as a journalist and technical writer. In her free time, Reshma enjoys journaling, reading, playing Wordle, Scrabble, and doing jigsaw puzzles and crafts.