Life > Academics

Five Ways to Relieve Stress as the School Year is Back in Swing

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

As August fades and fall arrives, the University of Michigan campus buzzes with renewed energy. With classes in full swing and activities ramping up, staying productive can become challenging. If you’re looking for ways to stay motivated and keep up with your to-do list, here are five tips to help you get into the groove this school year.

1. Find a New Coffee Spot: Embrace the fall season by discovering a new coffee shop and making it your go-to spot for studying or working. Fall menus are often filled with seasonal drinks that can provide a motivational boost. Whether it’s a pumpkin spice latte or a caramel apple macchiato, a fun fall beverage might just give you the extra push you need to tackle your assignments.
  2. Schedule “Me Time”: It might seem odd to schedule self-care, but blocking out time for activities like journaling, applying a face mask, or meditating can be incredibly revitalizing. Treating yourself to a break helps reset your mind and can make you more productive when you return to your tasks.
  3. Take a Walk Outside: The weather may not always be perfect, but taking a walk can be a great way to refresh yourself. Listening to relaxing music or a podcast while you walk can help you clear your mind and change your environment if you’ve been cooped up in the same study space for too long.
  4. Make Time for Hobbies: Even amidst a busy schedule, it’s important to carve out time for activities you enjoy. Whether it’s catching up with friends, playing a sport, creating art, or diving into a good book, engaging in hobbies can boost your mood and provide a necessary break from academic pressures.
  5. Reward Yourself for Small Wins: We often overlook our daily achievements while focusing on larger goals. Implementing small rewards, such as treating yourself to a sweet snack, spending a few minutes on TikTok, or watching a favorite TV show can help you acknowledge your progress and stay motivated.

Try out these tips to stay productive and keep your energy up throughout the school year. Enjoy the fall season and make the most of both your work and downtime!

Kate Levy

U Mich '26

Kate Levy is a rising junior at the University of Michigan studying Communications & Media from Los Angeles, California. Her favorite hobbies include reading, practicing meditation, taking boxing classes with friends, journaling, and watching movies!