Everybody Wants Nobody Wants This

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Nobody Wants This, the ten episode romantic comedy that changed the face of television, is so much more than just a series. The new Netflix series that was released on September 26, 2024, takes the audience through a love story and most importantly highlights representation that is not commonly seen in the entertainment industry. 

The journey of Joanne, played by Kristen Bell, and Noah, played by Adam Brody, displayed what it is like to be part of a healthy and committed relationship. Modern TV shows often use toxic romantic storylines to engage viewers, however Nobody Wants This engaged audiences by doing the opposite. In the show, Noah is a gentleman who properly illustrated how to treat a partner. He was supportive and understanding, and he made sacrifices to make sure that Joanne’s goals were met. Joanne knew that Judaism was an important part of Noah’s life, so she made an effort to learn and grow for him. The dynamic between them worked so well because they put each other first. Not to mention, their first kiss was one of the best romantic comedy moments in history. Adam Brody was told by directors to have the world’s best kiss, and he delivered. This model relationship will hopefully show young audience members to never settle for anything less because they deserve to have a healthy and happy love story.

Not only is a healthy relationship modeled, but Nobody Wants This incorporates Jewish topics and traditions that represent the religion more than the majority of other shows. The show’s storyline is developed based on the life of Erin Foster and her journey marrying into a Jewish family, hence the accuracy of Jewish traditions. The audience has the opportunity to learn about synagogue, Shabbat, Bat Mitzvahs, and other Jewish customs. 

However, despite the positive Jewish representation of holidays and celebrations, the show received backlash for perceived negative representations of Jewish women and harmful vocabulary. In the show, Esther, Bina, Rebecca, and the other wives of the basketball team member’s come across as extremely judgemental, self-obsessed, and unkind individuals. Just because it was a part of Foster’s experience, doesn’t give a reason to generalize the population. A large aspect of the show is combating antisemitism, however, this proves that the goal was not fulfilled to the fullest extent. Furthermore, Noah and his family use words like “Shiksa” and “Goyishe.” These terms are occasionally used in the Jewish community to describe things that aren’t Jewish or don’t follow Jewish customs, however, in the modern world, they are often negative and derogatory, and they are not commonly used. The frequent inclusion of these words throughout the series may make it seem as though Jewish individuals degrade and speak negatively about other individuals with differing identities, especially to viewers that don’t personally know people in the Jewish community.

Aside from the backlash, this series models healthy relationships in an engaging manner and hooks viewers from the very first minute. Fortunately, it has been announced that Nobody Wants This is renewed for season two on Netflix. I have been non-stop talking about this show with my friends and family, and I have recommended it to anyone who is willing to listen. It is important to think about the stereotypes that are included while enjoying the show for its many positive aspects. In my opinion, it is a must see show and I already want to watch it again for a second time. 

Hi! I'm Madison Kessler and I am a Freshman at U of M. I am studying neuroscience on the pre-med track. I love to cook and spend time with friends and family!