kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Christmas Recovery Plan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Every year it comes to find us. It creeps up behind you when you least expect it. It cannot be avoided. And amidst all the effort we put in, we still have to face it. Voila! Christmas break is over and our loving memory of it remains from a sluggish metabolism, unexplainable breakouts, still feeling lousy from that one too many drinks, excess weight in the mid-section (we forgive you grandma), and heavy breathing just walking up a flight of stairs! Do you think to yourself, “what has happened to me?”

Before you begin thinking negative thoughts and wondering how you could have avoided being so reckless, just remember- I can help!

A new year means a fresh start, and so does a new semester! There are many reasons as to why we should get back on track. Firstly, there are a ton of new opportunities to meet someone new whether it be in class, a welcoming party, or even if it’s just to ask a total stranger for directions. What better motivation to have the confidence you need to tackle the love bug, but most importantly, we need to want this for ourselves more than anything else. Read on Beauty Queen.

5 Necessary Habits to Take on for 2016

Eating Right
We all go there. There is always so much goodness to fill our bellies with during the holiday season that simply cannot be resisted. If your household is still being aromatized with turkey, pie, and Christmas log leftovers, say no more! It is important to realize the potential of all this forgotten food, and how eating it properly can actually be advantageous to us. Turkey paired with fluffy garlic mashed potatoes, warm stuffing, and the extra seduction of homemade gravy will not suffice post the big family get together. However, turkey is an excellent source of low-fat protein and can be paired matched with almost any side! Think of all the options: lettuce-caesar turkey wraps and turkey blt sandwiches for lunch, turkey and veggies, turkey salad, turkey kebabs, turkey stir fry, turkey soup, grilled turkey – you get the point. As for Christmas treats, they can be eaten reasonably throughout the week, if mom insists there be no waste. Once in awhile is okay, contrary to some beliefs, so long as there is moderation in your diet and active commitment.

Gym On
More than ever before there seems to be great creative ways to workout without breaking the bank. Your first option should be to consider what you can do with the resources at home to get moving on a daily basis.

There are the classic sets of:

• push ups (full body workout emphasizing chest, abs, back, and arms)
  • sit ups (abs)
  • lunges (legs)
  • squats (legs and posture)
  • running around the neighbourhood (excellent for cardio)

Schools gyms are also great places to visit during breaks or on weekends. With the perk of being free (most times), it is a no-excuse reason to escape the cold, grab a buddy, and learn about how each machine is dedicated to sculpt your body into shape. Make sure to ask a gym rep any questions you may have about the functionality of each machine.

Body TLC
Let’s not forget some extra tender loving care for our lovely silhouettes. Considering a mini spa day with a friend, sister, or mother is a great way to mentally prep yourself for a new semester of studying, assignments, and tests. At home, make use of the thousands of creams, cleansers, serums, and body scrubs that collect beneath the sink. Make it a habit of washing your face every morning and evening with a soap suited for your skin type, removing your makeup, exfoliating once a week, and always, I repeat always hydrate with a good cream head to toe. It is an important part in ensuring your skin remains youthful at every age.

Beauty Steals
‘Less is more’ is not a lie. When it comes to makeup, sometimes the very effort we put into covering a blemish, hiding dark bags, or playing up our barely-there cheekbones focuses more attention to the very issue than we think. Yes, the holidays are full of events and parties, and I’m in full support of looking hot; however, while back at school, try letting your skin breath once or twice a week by not using foundation. You’ll be surprised with how much confidence you gain by embracing your imperfections instead of pretending you don’t have any, and I can assure you that we all have them! Once you start accepting yourself in your truest form, others will too. On other days, you can find fun ways to highlight your best features. If you naturally have a strong brow, try grooming them upwards and running a light pencil through them to emphasize their shape. If you prefer to leave others mesmerized by your eyes, try contouring them with complimenting hues of colour: for blue eyes, try golden shades; for brown eyes, try blue undertones; for hazel eyes, try taupes and plum colours; and for dark eyes, you can get away with almost any colour. Also, don’t be afraid to moisturize that pout of yours. Lip chap is a must; however, a deep pink or coral shade will make you stand out from the crowd.

Social-ice
It’s winter, yes. Some people love it, and some people hate it. It’s inevitable. However, I am a strong believer in making the best of every situation. Our city offers great activities during the winter months, including Winterlude, skating on the Rideau Canal and at the Rink of Dreams located at city hall, as well as going skiing in the Chelsea hills. Winter sports are a great way to get some fresh air, get moving, and get socializing with all kinds of people. Do you have new roommate? Have you met a new date-worthy friend? Are you catching up with a pal? Any reason is a good reason to see what our beautiful city has to offer us.

Take control of this new year.  The possibilities are endless!

Sources: 1

Lift. Outdoors. Learning German uOttawa- International Business