Life > Academics

BEING AN ACADEMIC WEAPON INSTEAD OF A VICTIM: A GUIDE

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

The Campanile’s bell chimes twelve monotonous notes into the crisp Berkeley afternoon. Frantic advertisers flood the pathway down Upper Sproul into Sather Gate, desperate to promote their consulting org. Armed with flyers and an overwhelming enthusiasm, they approach the first person they make eye contact with. Mere moments later, a calculus lecture finishes in Wheeler Hall, prompting a line of famished students parallel to these solicitors. What delicacy will they order from the beloved Golden Bear Café? You get the picture: the fall semester has begun!

Those initial butterflies that accompany the beginning of the semester are inevitable as we craft our class schedules, hunt down cute school supplies, and scroll through Pinterest boards titled, “Study Aesthetic”. As the first week fades into a distant fog, the motivation to keep up with classes slowly declines. The eagerness to be as knowledgeable and put together as Rory Gilmore and Blair Waldorf only goes so far, posing an awfully difficult question: how can we keep up with our coursework without having to sacrifice every minute of our social lives? 

AD 4nXdmDP7oHAQE5TF37zMVEnB23fPbuNNj4vQWtQKjgDh5vwTUC2QWyPtKI2wPqkNXeOkJV9e 24UCbcQlHtUNRsF D5hyJovzz8tPxIoCdi0cTsPt4ll2ount5A54 8tl p4cbBbGWzwdBNFwUKFbWaej8o?key=yXrHhkncN6YW7lFm2vh3 w

Original photo by Hillary.

Figure Out Your Study Method

Everyone has their own way of retaining information that works for them. Simply reading off of class notes doesn’t help as much as you think it does. Techniques such as “The Blurting Method” where you write down everything about a subject from memory or “Active Recall” which is essentially creating flashcards and practice tests, can serve as useful tools to manage your study time better and learn productively. There is an abundance of approaches to studying — do your own research, explore a plan, and implement it into your next quiz!

AD 4nXfZfDq7YPUoqgBXvJF7pc zZOjU9 xqGPh7lRgQDlT4URKV0YvEM05zHNOQ8l6R2bReODj0bV4e 663oqyWCvf96xXPf4A nOHfT72cfGcWOfiDg4D2K30kbKoxRy4ahp728gcB6HOIIJIkz1E 0TtiBro9?key=yXrHhkncN6YW7lFm2vh3 w

Original photo by Hillary.

Create The Perfect Study Environment

Cafés, parks, and one of UC Berkeley’s 27 libraries. There are an endless amount of endearing study spots to choose from! What kind of ambiance do you prefer? The animated, dynamic click-clacking of cups and concentrated aroma of coffee beans or the enthrallment and concentration as students lock in for a long night of staying at Moffitt? Each person has different settings they are capable of studying in, the goal is to find your most productive and reliable. 

The photograph pictured is of The Hidden Café in West Berkeley, a homey, quaint site for studying. With seating for students and a large park outside, this spot is convenient and rejuvenating if you need a change of scenery. 

Take Short Breaks & Sleep

AD 4nXfKeuOOn5sqYHRtvnPb0l9vUTCL 7IU2AJLh6cS8G9BiP7Mq8xVnt9BQcMVXRs 4QCQMpIFdICmYKQvRCwfNzcSdNTSJMgjkv5 QC5TqNHxZGG5Wcbvo62OEIoqcBegNLGI447rjFaHfpB tC53764LcG5l?key=yXrHhkncN6YW7lFm2vh3 w

Original photo by Hillary.

We’ve all experienced it: we get home from classes, climb into bed to relax, and scroll through our phones until we eventually feel too drowsy to undertake our mountain of homework. What’s the harm in taking a quick nap? Next thing you know, you wake up at midnight and have to spend all night finishing up assignments. This step is what most students fail at; we make bad habits as we pull all-nighters and lose out on sleep to study material. Speaking from personal experience, once we pull our attention away from studying, we end up procrastinating.

Taking breaks and sleeping are wonderful if done in moderation. The Pomodoro Technique is efficient at dividing up your studying and breaks to stop you from burnout. If the short, 10-minute breaks aren’t long enough for you, make a plan to be active in between study breaks instead of staying in your nook. Go to the gym, take a small walk outside, or go get food with some friends! The image above shows The Smokehouse in Berkeley–nourishment and company are the best ways to unwind after a study session. 

Hillary is a sophomore at UC Berkeley studying Molecular & Cell Biology and intends to minor in Children’s Developmental Psychology. She takes on both positions of Staff Writer and Designer/Photographer at Berkeley’s Her Campus chapter. She plans to research children’s psychological and biological development to understand factors that impact growth from an anatomical and cognitive perspective. Hillary values the voices young, female-identifying adults and is passionate about using Her Campus as a platform to empower other college students. She enjoys writing about the small, fulfilling moments about Berkeley and situations young readers can identify with. Hillary loves to read, journal, take photographs, explore the Bay, and yap with her friends.