Style

MY ACTUAL BACK-TO-SCHOOL ESSENTIALS

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

The summer before I transferred (or rather, three or four months ago), I was constantly scrolling TikTok for #studyinspo, back-to-school outfit guides, and apartment decoration ideas. My dreams were filled with elegant bullet journals, cashmere knit sweaters, and floral contact paper. Lo and behold, coming to university was a harsh reality check. 

Aside from the financial constraints, the sheer amount of time I had to do anything — decorating, cooking meals, shopping — was slim to none. Tiktok’s back-to-school shopping lists didn’t seem to do this justice, so I thought I’d make my own convenient, low-maintenance, budget-friendly list of the chic essentials I try to have in stock between classes, club meetings, socials, and sleep.

1. Owala 24oz FreeSip Stainless Steel Water Bottle

Nothing keeps me going through my 9-5 classes like my water bottle, and nothing’s going to keep you as hydrated when trudging up those endless hills in the heat either. This cult favorite has a specifically designed, leak-proof spout and is double-insulated, meaning it can keep your water ice-cold and your coffee piping hot. For gals trying to be granola on a budget, it’s also completely BPA, lead, and phthalate-free.

2. Amika Dry Shampoo

My hair-washing schedule has, unfortunately, not been super compatible with my study schedule. Dry shampoo is a quick and easy tool that makes me feel refreshed, put together, and a lot less like the mess I am. A small bottle can easily be slipped into a tote bag or backpack and saves time in a pinch when I wanna get out the door; this one from Amika absorbs oil, adds volume, and cools your scalp without sulfates, parabens, mineral oil, or petroleum. 

3. ​DALTACK 3-Tier Paper Organizer with Handle

A simple paper organizer can be the key to dressing up your desk. You can sort your notebooks, pens, Post-its, and essay folders instead of strewing them about the surface. Bonus points for the adorable color. These lightweight pink metal trays have three detachable tiers and can be installed without splurging on screws or tools, perfect for dressing up an otherwise bland dorm (or student apartment) desk surface.

4. Aquaphor Healing Ointment Jar

Yes, you absolutely need it, and yes, you do need an insanely big tub of it, especially if you want to save yourself countless trips to CVS and/or Target in a beauty emergency. This miracle gel can be used as chapstick, brow gel, highlighter, nail strengthener, dry skin moisturizer, cut/burn ointment, and more. Its multi-functionality and cure-all status make it a must-have in any collegiate household. Plus, it’s best to have plenty of it on hand for any sticky situations that may arise. 

5. Burts Bees Tinted Lip Balm

Speaking of lip balms, this one from Burt’s Bees is perfect for an easy, moisturizing splash of color when you don’t feel like doing a full face of makeup. My favorite shade is Red Dahlia, a moody, Clinique-black-honey-esque shade of rosewood berry that makes my lips look pretty and full when the rest of my face feels puffy and bland. My 9 a.m. seminar class has seen this look plenty of times (and they will again).  

6. Moleskin Classic 12-Month Planner 

These on-sale planners are perfect for keeping track of assignments, birthdays, campus events, club meetings, nights out, and office hour appointments, without the multicolored headache of GCal. For me, drawing out my schedule without any disruptions or distractions makes me feel much calmer and in control of the little time I have left over. I prefer the pastel lilac shade, but it also comes in classic colors like red, black, white, and Berkeley navy blue. 

Being a college girl isn’t all the glamor it’s cracked up to be, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t allow ourselves small luxuries from time to time. It’s the little things, after all, that keep us sane. While they might not be your conventional high-end skincare finds or Longchamp Le Pliage shopping guides, I hope this list can function as a start for curating your very own semester-long basics.

Keemia Zhang

UC Berkeley '26

Keemia Zhang is a junior at the University of California, Berkeley, studying English. She has previously been a contributor to lifestyle and culture publications like Gazette Gal and Intersect Magazine. She currently works as a news reporter for The Daily Californian and staff writer for Her Campus Berkeley.