Life > Experiences

ON ESTABLISHING ROUTINE IN COLLEGE

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

In high school, your routine is largely created for you. Your class schedule, practice/rehearsal times, and things of the like are at a set time, and you show up at that time. However, one of the hyped up things about college is newfound independence, but that can be daunting when it comes to getting into a good routine on your own, maintaining balance for yourself, and keeping up with all the cool things being thrown at you. There’s a lot of pros and cons with this new sense of accountability, but you’re ready to handle it!

Coming into my first semester of college this fall, I was a big routine person. I woke up at the same time each day, went to sleep around the same time, always did my homework during my study hall, and went to practice at 3:30 p.m. each weekday. With no set study hall or practice time, and homework, studying, and my social life all competing with my sleep schedule, I was largely out of routine my first full month of college.

I still made it to all my classes, met deadlines, and had some fun when I could, but I felt uneasy, like I could be managing my time better, and I was right. During my second month of college (though there are still lots of places where I hope to grow—it’s all about improving, and it doesn’t need to be linear or without mistakes!) I’ve had more time to study, work, exercise, get outside, and go out, although I have the same 24 hours in a day.

If you’re finding yourself midway through the semester and still not adjusted, that’s okay! Honestly, same! Here are some tips that have helped me feel better, though it will never be perfect, and part of growing and learning is accepting that’s totally okay:

1. Lists over schedules

I used to be a big schedule person. Like, I’d tell myself, “I’m going to do this assignment at exactly 1pm,” but this hasn’t worked for me in college because things are unpredictable. It’s nice to be able to go with the flow a bit. I’m learning to lean into the fact that part of the fun of college is unpredictability. Each night, I make a big list of what I want to get done the next day, and I don’t really worry about what time it gets done. And, if a task doesn’t get finished, there’s always tomorrow. It’s just about staying organized and setting goals.

2. Don’t be afraid to say “no” (but don’t overuse it, either!)

There is absolutely no shame in staying in and studying on a Saturday night. But, don’t burn yourself out! Say “no” when you genuinely feel like you’ll be more fulfilled the next morning if you have a good night of studying behind you. The opposite is also true. If you’ll be distracted all night because you wish you were out with your friends, you might just need to go out and lock in the next morning. It’s about finding what’s most fulfilling and productive for you!

3. Give yourself some grace—you’re doing great!

Comparing yourself to others, getting down on yourself, and not believing in your abilities are not going to help you succeed or get things done. If you spend too much time worrying about an assignment or exam, it’ll be more difficult to actually complete it or prepare for it. Part of setting yourself up for success and getting into a productive headspace is knowing that you can get it done, because you can!

4. Sleep is important

Don’t underestimate the importance of your sleep! Without it, you won’t be able to retain information or academically perform to the best of your abilities, and you won’t have as much fun when you’re with your friends if you’re straight up exhausted. Trying your best to get eight hours a night is so important for your health, and one of the best, most important, and most overlooked forms of self care.

5. Balance

Go out, stay in, go to the library, watch a movie, yap with your roommate, go to office hours, go to the gym, go on a hike, or go to the farmers market…variety. Balance. Moderation. Find the sweet spot. A little bit of everything, what’s fulfilling for you, and getting what you need to get done, done, while creating time for yourself, recharging, embracing new experiences, learning, and growing. That’s self care!

Learning to manage your schedule in college and finding balance between all the things is super difficult but super rewarding. Learning in class prepares you for your career, but learning independence and time management right now will also help prepare you to live your best life down the road.

Cecelia Hammond

UC Berkeley '28

First-year student at UC Berkeley with hopes to study English and Rhetoric. Deeply passionate about social justice, the outdoors, and mental health. Big fan of iced coffee, creativity, and the Bay Area.