This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

I’m not exaggerating when I say that I listen to music almost every waking moment of the day. Whether I’m walking to class, studying, or working out, I physically need my headphones. They are easily my number one essential. Since I’m constantly plugged in, I have to constantly change up my playlist so I still have the novelty of fresh music. If you are like me (which I’ve noticed many college students are), one fun thing I’d totally recommend is listening to music based on the month or season. My fall playlist has both helped me switch up what I’m listening to and got me excited for autumn.

Now, let me show you what I’ve been listening to:

For spooky vibes: “Season Of The Witch” by Lana Del Rey

I love Lana’s take on an absolute classic. Her (honestly, enchanting) voice adds a whole new dimension to a song that’s fantastic to begin with. “Season Of The Witch” has that spooky charm akin to nostalgic Halloween movies like Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown.

For academic, Rory Gilmore vibes: “There She Goes” by The La’s

Okay, this one’s basic, but no fall playlist is complete without “There She Goes.” It’s basic because it’s so good. Also, Rory Gilmore has been my study motivation this midterm season. Autumn is for academic success!

For a throwback autumn afternoon: “Head Over Heels” by Tears For Fears; “Fade Into You” by Mazzy Star; “1979” by The Smashing Pumpkins; “Little Lies” by Fleetwood Mac

These are just a few throwbacks that make fall feel like fall. You might notice that “Fade Into You” is also featured in the first season of Gilmore Girls, further evidence that it is the iconic fall series. I will also argue that some of the best autumn-esque songs come from the 80s and 90s. My favorite fall vibe is walking around with these songs blaring in my headphones while the leaves begin to change. Some good music, time outside, and maybe an iced coffee all keep me centered while the schoolwork picks up, and it’s an easy way to create time for myself since I can procure this good energy while trekking to lecture.

General feel good songs: “Meet Me Halfway” by Black Eyed Peas; “Go Gina” by SZA; “What’s the Use?” by Mac Miller; “After The Storm” by Kali Uchis, Tyler, The Creator, & Bootsy Collins

So, these songs don’t exactly give fall, but it’s always important to switch it up! These songs all have a good vibe that can help me lock in or destress.

Meredith Kress-Converse And Fallen Leaves
Meredith Kress / Her Campus

And, for chill vibes: “Softly” by Clairo & “Ttttime” by Faye Webster

I always keep some songs with a nice, chill vibe on my playlist, and they always seem to come up in the queue right when I need them. I’m a huge fan of both Clairo and Faye, so I’m biased in saying that I think they are perfect additions to any playlist.

Creating the perfect fall playlist is a key aspect of attaining your ideal autumn vibe. Just putting a few seasonally on-theme songs on a playlist with others that you are loving right now will make that increasingly chilly walk to class so much better.

Cecelia Hammond

UC Berkeley '28

Freshman at UC Berkeley studying Linguistics & Psychology