WHY I LOVE THE GREEK THEATRE IN BERKELEY

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Since I live in the Bay Area, I have access to a wide variety of concert venues; from large stadiums like the Chase Center to small hole-in-the-wall clubs and everything in between. The Bay Area truly has something for everyone interested in live music, but The Greek Theatre has a special place in my heart.

The Greek isn’t just my favorite because it’s walking distance from my apartment, but also because it masters the balance between attracting big-name artists and curating a personal feel, compared to larger stadiums. It seems like one of the only locations that can draw in popular artists like Noah Kahan, Gracie Abrams, and Charlie Puth, but still create an environment where fans can connect with their favorite singers on a more intimate level than when they’re performing for 18,000 people. 

There’s truly no bad seat at the Greek, which is a tough claim for a concert venue to make. However, I’ve experienced concerts there from all angles and can attest to the fact that no matter where you sit, it’ll be a great show. People even climb up to the hill behind the Greek to listen to the concerts and see just a little bit of the stage. When the wind picks up, the sound travels easily, and the concert can not only be heard from that hill but throughout all of Berkeley. 

Besides that, it’s just a beautiful venue in general, especially when the sun is setting and everything is cast in a golden light. From high up enough, you can see the Berkeley skyline and even the ocean from certain seats. It becomes the perfect venue for outdoor live music. 

The fun doesn’t end at the concert, because when it’s over, you can breeze by the stands selling hot dogs for $15, with the promise that better and cheaper food is a brief walk away, on Durant Ave. I always look forward to heading down there after a concert at the Greek to get a hot dog, pizza, milkshake, or whatever I’m craving.

If you drove to Berkeley for the concert, Durant is a great excuse to wait out the traffic jam that’s sure to follow the concert and find something delicious to eat. 

Anna Schultz-Girl And Guy Couple Laughing With Milkshakes
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Overall, whether you’re a die-hard fan in the pit, or just there to listen to good music on the lawn, attending a concert at the Greek is sure to be a memorable experience and one that can be followed up by mouth-watering and affordable comfort food.

Eloise Krause

UC Berkeley '26

Eloise is a junior at UC Berkeley majoring in English. She enjoys writing lifestyle and culture pieces. In her free time she enjoys reading, getting coffee, going on walks, and doing Zumba.