YOUR SUSTAINABLE FALL AESTHETIC

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Fall is my favorite season by far. I love Halloween, scented candles, and lattes. While my serotonin skyrockets just thinking about all the fall festivities, it’s important to acknowledge that the holidays are a difficult time for our planet. So, I’m investigating how to create a fall aesthetic centered around caring for our Earth.

1. FASHION

You may be able to emulate Rory Gilmore’s fall style by going to the local flea market or hitting the thrift store. Hunting for hidden second-hand gems is not only a way to support cyclical fashion, it’s a wonderful way to spend a fall afternoon with your friends.

On that note, you may find that sharing clothes with your friends is a great way to save some cash and level-up your outfit game. Also, if you’re looking for another way to support cyclical fashion, be sure to donate and/or sell your old clothes (hot tip: save some dough for your textbooks next semester by selling your clothes on Depop or at a consignment store).

Halloween costumes are one of my favorite things ever, but they unfortunately are quite unsustainable. Instead of buying something new you’ll only wear once, try to see if you want to reuse an old costume, can find something at the thrift, or channel your creativity (and DIY Youtube phase) to make something that’s all yours! If you want to buy something new, I’d recommend buying pieces that you’ll still be able to wear outside of the costume.

Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

2. Coffee

Fall drinks are back! Did you know that at lots of coffee shops, you can save 25 cents (and reduce your use of single-use plastics) if you bring in your own cup? Why not save a quarter and help out the planet? If you’re a major coffee consumer, challenge yourself to try out some new spots (cough cough, small businesses, cough cough), or try to whip something up on your own.

3. Fall Activities

There are so many great ways to take in the fall air and appreciate everything that nature has to offer this autumn. Going on a long walk or hike with your friends is a great way to get in a yap session while appreciating the changing leaves. You might also hit up a pumpkin patch, check out a neighborhood with Halloween decorations, or go to the farmers market to see if they have any fall goodies. If you’re more down for a night in, I’d suggest baking (maybe try out a vegan recipe!) and watching a Halloween movie while enjoying your creation.

Fall is so much more than consumerism and single-use items. With a conscious effort, you can certainly achieve your fall aesthetic in a much more sustainable way. I’m wishing you a phenomenal and joyful fall, an awesome (and sustainable) Halloween costume, and tons of great memories with your friends.

Cecelia Hammond

UC Berkeley '28

Freshman at UC Berkeley studying Linguistics & Psychology