Women’s Empowerment Songs for Women’s History Month 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

ATTENTION: the time has finally come to have an excuse to celebrate women! As many of us know, March is the month to recognize great women all across the globe as it has been labeled as Women’s History Month. One way to celebrate this marvelous month is to blast some classic songs made by some powerful women. Below I am going to list some of my favorite, most iconic, empowering songs by women.

1. “***Flawless” by Beyoncé (feat. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie)

Beyoncé is one of the most iconic women to exist. Her discography is full of empowering songs that do an amazing job of uplifting women. “Flawless” is one of my favorite songs of hers, as it is such a great track to make people feel confident and to simply just dance to. It also contains an excerpt from Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, who is a Nigerian writer that has written many novels about topics such as feminism, race, and politics. Her excerpt in the song points out many of the double standards women are held to in society and highlights the importance of feminism. Beyoncé has a lot of other empowering honorable mentions that I love such as: “Run The World (Girls)”, “Diva”, “Formation”, “Sorry”, and so many more!

2. “No Scrubs” by TLC

This song is one of the most classic women’s empowerment songs out there. It’s an R&B anthem that reminds women not to settle for men that don’t deserve it. It’s a great song that highlights a woman’s self worth with lyrics like: “Cause I’m looking like class and he’s looking like trash.”

3. “The Man” by Taylor Swift

Taylor is another powerful woman in the music industry. She has written a few greatly influential songs for women, but “The Man” is her most commanding track to date. This song is a feminist anthem that highlights all of the daily struggles that women face in comparison to men. One of the most popular lines of the song is: “I’m so sick of running as fast as I can, wondering if I’d get there quicker if I was a man.” She was so committed to bringing her song to life that she completely transformed herself into a man for the music video. In the video she portrays the most negative parts of masculinity and showcases how men can get away with so much, whereas women are picked on for doing almost nothing. All in all, this is a great track to listen to when you need to feel empowered.

4. “Woman” by Kesha (feat. The Dap-King Horns)

This song is another feminist staple song. Kesha brings this song to life with her amazing vocals and fun pop beat. In this song she talks about the power of being a strong, successful, self-sufficient woman. She celebrates her independence and encourages other women to do the same. The song includes fun lyrics such as: “I buy my own things, I pay my own bills, these diamond rings, my automobiles. Everything I got, I bought it, boys can’t buy my love.”

5. “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus

Miley is another artist that has released so many female empowerment anthems, and “Flowers” is the newest addition to her collection. In this song she emphasizes the fact that self love is more powerful than anything else. Even with the release of this song being so recent, it has already become a massive hit and anthem for many women. The song showcases the iconic line: “Started to cry but then remembered I, I can buy myself flowers.”

Altogether, these powerful songs are great tracks to have on repeat for the rest of the month (and beyond). Women’s History Month is an important time to celebrate any and all women, because women are always worth celebrating! 

Rina Ahuja

UC Riverside '24

I am a third year Psychology major that enjoys writing. I also enjoy trying different coffee shops, listening to music, and exploring new places.