This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With the start of every new season, I make it a goal to create a list of books to tackle from my ever-growing pile of TBR (to-be-read) books. I am especially excited about this season because fall is the best season for reading! After all, there’s nothing better than beating the fall chill by cozying up indoors with a good book and hot beverage in hand. My fall reading list totals 5 books and spans various genres, ranging from Gothic fiction to Science Fiction. Not all of these books fit the typical fall theme of cozy comfort or frightening spooks, but as they say, variety is the spice of life!

Nevertheless, I invite you to join me on this seasonal reading journey, and hope some of these picks pique your interest!

The Secret History, by: Donna Tartt 

According to nearly every BookTok influencer, Tartt’s impressive debut novel is a must-read for the fall season. It has everything you could possibly desire from a fall read: dark academia, morally ambiguous characters, picturesque descriptions of rural Vermont, and a mysterious murder. I don’t usually cave to popular book recommendations but it seems remiss of me to not give such a lauded author a chance. 

The Forbidden Notebook, by: Alba de Céspedes 

Originally written in Italian, this English translation of Céspedes’ feminist novel, is set in 1950s Rome and centers on Valeria, who illegally buys a notebook in which she secretly writes about her growing feelings of dissatisfaction with domestic life, and worries about her diminishing individuality as a mother and wife. The more she writes, the more her true desires and thoughts threaten to rip apart the fabric of her family. I have always been drawn to books that explore the innermost thoughts of characters, and this book seems perfectly up my alley.

Mexican Gothic, by: Silvia Moreno-Garcia

My first taste of Moreno-Garcia’s writing was with her speculative fiction short story, “Give Me Your Black Wings Oh Sister,” where I became entranced by her haunting and captivating writing style. This Gothic fiction novel follows Noemí, who, upon receiving a frantic letter from her cousin claiming that her husband will murder her, decides to travel to their remote mansion to investigate. With the approach of Halloween and all things spooky on the horizon, I can’t wait to celebrate by indulging in a good old gothic horror book. 

Klara and the Sun, by: Kazuo Ishiguro 

I have previously read Ishiguro’s science fiction novel Never Let Me Go, and it has been one of my favorite books of all time. I have long admired Ishiguro’s ability to build suspense and dread by methodically withholding and revealing information to expose the truth behind the society they inhabit or the characters we meet. I am eager to read another of Ishiguro’s works, especially as this novel delves into the age-old question of what it means to love.

The Pisces, by: Melissa Broder

I recently read Broder’s sophomore novel, Milk Fed, which I am admittedly not a fan of. Nevertheless, I’m willing to give Broder’s debut novel, in which a woman recovering from heartbreak enters a torrid love affair with a merman, a chance. I’m not much of a romance reader, but I chose this book because I’d love to expand my literary horizons and this novel about a seemingly abnormal relationship between a human and a non-human creature seems like an optimal place to start. 

I hope this reading list inspires you to also set aside some time this fall to read and explore new genres that you wouldn’t think to try. Happy reading!v

Vivian is an English major at UC Davis. In her spare time, she enjoys watching Studio Ghibli movies, attempting new recipes she finds online, and fiercely debating strangers on the validity of pineapples on pizza.