Bgb Editor\'S Letter Hero Image
Bgb Editor\'S Letter Hero Image
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Wellness

Body Neutrality > Body Positivity

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Beauty standards for women have remained quite rigid over time. A tiny waist, round hips, and an overall thin figure have consistently been promoted as “beautiful.” In an attempt to combat this, Gen Z has brought major awareness to diverse body types. We’ve especially seen more plus-size representation in TV shows, movies, commercials, and social media. 

The Body Positivity movement encourages women to love how their bodies look, regardless of whether they fit traditional beauty standards. However…is it wrong to look at ourselves and not enjoy our appearance?

There have been many times I’ve told my friends, “Ugh, I feel so fat in this dress,” or “I hate my hyperpigmentation.” Almost unanimously, they would respond with, “Nooo don’t say that, you’re so pretty!” While the support was wholesome (and honestly expected—imagine having friends who call you ugly), that couldn’t change the discomfort I had in my own skin.

The reality is that our bodies are ever-changing. In some moments, you will look in the mirror and feel like a model, while at other moments, you will feel crusty and gross. My standpoint: you should have every right to feel every breath of emotion towards your body.

Sometimes we take the concept of “self-love” and inflate it into an unrealistic practice. Despite feeling unsatisfied with your body, people will tell you to ignore those feelings and just preach, “I’m beautiful.” It’s understandable since constant body insecurity can spiral into body dysmorphia. For many of us, we won’t be able to achieve traditional beauty standards, which is why the Body Positivity Movement strives to teach women to love every feature of their authentic selves.

Very few members of the movement promote toxic positivity; most encourage self-respect, where if you want to reach a certain body goal, you take the healthy, necessary measures to get there. Most importantly, they remind you to be patient with your progress. Sometimes people can attack you for wishing to fit under traditional beauty standards, but is it truly wrong if that’s how you feel beautiful?

I’ve learned to adopt the Body Neutrality mindset, where I allow myself to feel beautiful some days, ugly other days, and change myself however I want to fit whatever beauty standard I want. I think the general concept of the Body Positivity movement is beneficial, but it is important to emphasize that you don’t need to feel attractive all the time. If you want to lose weight and get an hourglass figure, go ahead and achieve it using a healthy regimen! If you wish to maintain your figure, the same thing! If you feel pretty with a hoodie and sweatpants, flaunt that look! If you feel dissatisfied with a face full of makeup, that’s completely fine too. 

Body neutrality cements the point that our bodies are not meant to look or feel pretty 24/7, and it’s ok to acknowledge that. It can be a lot of pressure to constantly tell yourself you are beautiful when you don’t truly feel that way. No matter your body and self-image journey, make sure to give yourself grace. Your appearance only plays part of a role in a beautiful figure; most of the beauty comes down to how well our bodies function and help us experience life. 

Gayathri is a third-year Biotechnology major and director of the UCD Her Campus Digital Media team. She loves to write, work out, sing, and sleep (college students need more of that nowadays). When not indulging in her boba addiction, she likes to wind down by watching hilarious Youtube vids with a hot cup of tea.