Guys, Can We Please Bring Back 2010’s House Music

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Spring has officially sprung, its promise of sun kissed shoulders and greenery infecting the attitude of 20 somethings everywhere. I, for one, feel infected with the positivity and excitement that can only stem from a deft escape from yet another winter, and a clear break in the monotony of greytone clouds and puddles. Like nearly every young adult, I need a soundtrack to cement my stay in the land of sunglasses and socials… and this year I ask you to join me. 

The 2010s was a crazy decade to live through in many ways. Although I was a lowly preteen at the time, even then I recognized the headlining music was something special. I specifically remember being eight years old in the back of my best friend’s mom’s minivan feeling absolutely lit and much older and cooler than I actually was listening to “Party Rock Anthem” by LMFAO. Recently, on a night out, “Feel So Close” came on and I swear, over a decade later the song still makes me feel that same as it did in 2012. It got me thinking: what ever happened to the Calvin Harris/2010 house music sound? When did music shift? And, most importantly: can we bring it back? 

I can only imagine (and most likely inflate) how interesting it must have been to be in your 20s in the 2010’s. I am sure many will be saying the same about the 2020s in a couple decades but you know what they say about greener grasses and other sides. However, this spring I am determined to live like it’s 2014 and party like Mike Posner in Ibiza. I am method acting as Robin Schulz and asking: Sugar, how’d you get so fly? I urge, nay, I beg you to join me on this wave, for I fear if I go in it alone I may never come out. Below I have attached a list of songs I hope to hear out of open windows, too loud airpods, and pool speakers.

Bring them back! Free them!

“This Is What You Came For” (Calivn Harris, Rihanna) 

“I Took a Pill In Ibiza” – Seeb Remix (Mike Posner, Seeb)

“Sugar” (feat. Francesco Yates) (Robin Schulz, Francesco Yates)

“Waves” – Robin Schulz Radio Edit (Mr. Probz, Robin Schulz) 

“Feel So Close” – Radio Edit (Calvin Harris) 

“Summer” (Calvin Harris) 

“Waiting For Love” (Avicii) 

“Rather Be” (feat. Jess Glynne) (Clean Bandit, Jess Glynne) 

“Glue” (BICEP) 

“Where Are Ü Now” (with Justin Bieber) (Jack Ü, Skrillex, Diplo, Justin Bieber) 

“Cola” (CamelPhat, Elderbrook) 

“Scream & Shout” (will.i.am, Britney Spears)

“It Ain’t Me (with Selena Gomez)” (Kygo, Selena Gomez) 

“Roses (feat. ROZES)” (The Chainsmokers, ROZES)

“212” (Azealia Banks, Lazy Jay) 

“Tennis Court – Flume Remix” (Lorde, Flume) 

“How Deep Is Your Love” (Calvin Harris, Disciples) 

“Time of Our Lives” (Pitbull, Ne-Yo) 

“Wake Me Up” (Avicii) 

Honorable 2010s mentions: 

“Counting Stars” (OneRepublic)

“In The Night” (The Weeknd) 

“Hotline Bling” (Drake) 

“King Kunta” (Kendrick Lamar) 

“Maps” (Maroon 5) 

“Bad Romance” (Lady Gaga) 

“Dog Days Are Over” (Florence + The Machine) 

“Paper Planes” (M.I.A.) 

Happy spring everyone!

Hello! My Name is Madeline Malak, I am from Redding California and a third year at UC Davis. I major in History, but I have always had a passion for literature whether that be reading others work or writing my own. My favorite book is The Count Of Monte Cristo. Some of my other interests include movie reviewing, listening to music, and being super funny, cool, and awesome.