My Guide to a Nice Summer Day

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Guess what? Summer is right around the corner! This is definitely a season where we should be celebrating! Now I know what you’re thinking: “Amanda, it’s going to be constantly so hot outside! What am I going to do without melting?” Girl, I’ve got you covered! The sun is out and there is a nice breeze to go along with it! It’s very important for you to get your Vitamin D. Whether you’re staying here in Davis for the summer, or going back home, there are multiple ways to have a nice summer day. 

As always, never forget to put on that sunscreen before you venture out because even though the sun is very nice to be in during this time, it can burn you at any given moment; especially if you’re going to be outside for a long period of time. Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day. It’s very important to stay hydrated during these hot months. It’s good for you, and you won’t feel fatigued.  

Now, you can take walks, have picnics, sunbathe, have a pool day, or go for a hike. The list goes on and on. My personal favorite out of all of these activities is to have a nice day by the pool! We’ve worked so hard throughout the school year, take some time to yourself to relax! For my girls that will be in SoCal for the summer, take advantage of this time and go to the beach! Reading a book by the water is nice and relaxing as well as swimming in the ocean when it’s nice and warm. I will definitely be going to SoCal at some point during the summer to do this activity.

Nice cold sweet treats such as ice cream or popsicles are very nice to have ready to go during this season! Not to mention all of the juicy fruits such as peaches, mangos, and melons will be in season! Grab your favorite snack, and get going! 

For my girls who like to stay indoors during this time, curling up in bed and reading a nice book is heavenly. Instead of a hot cup of coffee or tea, I tend to go for a nice glass of lemonade or soda. Listening to the latest music and journaling is also a way to have a nice time while staying indoors. Make sure you’ve got that fan running!   

kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

I personally love to take nice long walks and admire the beautiful scenery in the summertime because I love being out in the sun and it puts me in a nice mood. There are many paths to take walks here in Davis and I highly recommend just going outside and soaking up the sun. The paths here in Davis are very beautiful and I find myself never wanting to get off of them. If you know you live near a nice path in your neighborhood, go out and take a walk. Even five minutes can make the biggest difference.  

Lastly, I find it very nice to just lay down and relax.​​ Being a student can make us very tired, and we’ve all worked so hard throughout the year. Summer is a time that I really look forward to because sometimes a break is necessary. It’s important to give yourself time to rest and recharge. Summer break is only a few weeks away, we’ve got this!

Amanda is a fourth year Cinema & Digital Media major with a minor in Communications. She enjoys writing, watching movies & TV shows, and spending time with her friends. She hopes to pursue a career in the film industry after UC Davis.