What to Eat on Thanksgiving If You’re Vegetarian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Thanksgiving is thought of as a day to appreciate everything you have, spend time with loved ones, and, of course, to eat. For the main course, Thanksgiving meals traditionally have turkey, but can also have different types of meat like ham, or roast beef. People generally eat as much as they can and get very full, but, if you’re vegetarian, you’re expected to fill up on side dishes. Personally, no amount of mashed potatoes, green beans, or corn bread could ever make me feel full. For fellow vegetarians or people seeking healthier options, here are some Thanksgiving meal ideas so you don’t have to survive on side dishes this year.

Pasta (of any kind)

Growing up, my family always accommodated for me on Thanksgiving by making some form of pasta, whether it be penne, spaghetti, or lasagna. You can use any family recipe or recipe you find online for a nontraditional Thanksgiving meal that will fill you up. This recipe for lasagna uses a Thanksgiving favorite, squash.

Vegan and Gluten-Free Shepherd’s Pie 

This recipe switches out the traditional ground beef found in shepherd’s pie for mushrooms or lentils. It also includes vegetables like onions, peas, carrots, and green beans, and only takes an hour to make, making it a quicker and healthier alternative to turkey. 

Butternut Squash Risotto 

This risotto is not only a tasty substitute to turkey, but it only takes ten minutes of prep time. It includes rice, butternut squash, and fresh parsley for a unique addition to your Thanksgiving menu.

Udon with Tofu and Asian Greens

A vegetarian main course also allows you to experiment with international flavors. This recipe takes just under twenty minutes to make, and it brings a little taste of Asia into your home.

Green Bean Casserole

This casserole can be made as a main course on Thanksgiving, or in the days after to make use of leftover green beans.

Veggie Burgers 

These burgers consist of grains and vegetables in the form of quinoa, mushroom, and zucchini. Burgers may seem like a completely untraditional Thanksgiving meal, but they are very healthy and can be topped with whatever you want to add.

Pumpkin Ravioli 

Pumpkin doesn’t just have to be in pie — it can be in your main course, too. This recipe features pumpkin flavored ravioli dough with a sage walnut and pumpkin butter filling. It can be made ahead of time and can be frozen. 

None of the images used belong to Her Campus or the author.

Rep Image courtesy of Pexels.

Ravina is a second year Comparative Literature major at UC Davis. When not studying, she enjoys watching Brooklyn Nine Nine and rereading the Harry Potter series.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!