Life > Experiences

Turning 20: Coming to Terms with Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

In less than a week, I will be 20 years old. I can feel my heart and brain slow as I try to process that fact. Twenty is real. Twenty is adulthood. Twenty is something I don’t know if I’m ready for.

Everyone says there is nothing to be afraid of, but isn’t there?

I think of turning 20, and I am reminded of the inevitable death of my youth. Legally, I have been an adult for the past two years, but I could still hide behind the -teen suffix. I was still young and learning. I could call my parents and ask them endless questions about food or clothes. Just last week, I called my mom when I was too scared to kill a bug, and she stayed on the phone while I figured it out.

Now, I’m calling my dad, not to ask him to take me to a concert, but to tell him I’m opening a new savings account. Instead of convincing him to take me shopping, I’m asking him to help me pick out a safe, reliable, yet affordable car.

I can already feel the independence being thrust upon me, which is by no means a bad thing. I’ve dreamed of being an adult, making my own decisions, and being independent for so long, but it is all happening so fast.

I graduate college in less than a year, with no plans of continuing my education. By this time next year, I expect myself to have left the college bubble, gotten a big-girl job, and moved out of my home. It’s a lot, and it’s scary.

I have yet to ‘find myself’ or understand ‘who I am.’ I am still trying to figure out what I like, what clothes I enjoy wearing, or where I want to live in the future. It feels like, by now, I should know, but I don’t.

There’s a small part of me, though, that finds it exciting.

I get to figure it out as I go. That’s life. We change. We adapt. We grow.

We discover new things about ourselves every day, and it’s exciting. In this new era of life, I get to have new favorites: a new favorite color, a new favorite song, a new favorite purse, etc. I get to meet more people and make more friends. I want to travel solo and see the world. I want to go to different cities, interact with other cultures, and find where I belong.

I want to get my own place and decorate it however I like. I want to make Shirley Temples at 3 a.m. because I can.

“To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.”

Henri Bergson

There’s a sense of liberation with turning 20 and being what I consider a real adult.

I know I won’t wake up on my twentieth birthday with my frontal lobe fully developed. Nobody expects me to be a different, more mature, responsible person suddenly. And as scared as I am to enter this new era, I cannot wait to experience my 20s and see what these coming years have in store for me.

Gil'Anya (she/her) is a junior currently pursuing her Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing at the University of Central Florida and minoring in both Cinema Studies and Magazine Journalism. This is her first year as a staff writer for Her Campus. She's passionate about stories in every form, so you can always find her in the theatre, at the movies, or somewhere with headphones on and a book in her hand.