River in Zurich, Switzerland
River in Zurich, Switzerland
Original photo by Hannah Bains

How Traveling Has Been The Passport To Navigating My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Not even two years old, and I was on a plane to Oahu. I may not remember anything from this tropical getaway since I was so little, but I will always see it as the start to my love for traveling. Being able to aimlessly wander new grounds and step into the shoes of people I don’t know has been such an impactful experience for myself. It’s given me the opportunity to create my own personal culture, something unique to myself! Every place that I’ve gone to near or far has taught me lessons about myself and revealed cultural aspects that I can incorporate into my own everyday life. 

Sunset on the River Thames
Original photo by Hannah Bains

There’s something so thrilling about being able to hop on a plane, or a car or even a train and go from the place I know best to a totally different location. Not only does traveling provide a relaxing getaway, but it opens my eyes to so many different cultures. Exposure to different people and places has greatly contributed to my own personal cultural development. 

For many people traveling is simply seen as a vacation where every touristy activity is planned to a tee. There’s nothing wrong with this style of travel, but I personally grew up navigating new places with the naked eye. The itinerary is to get off the plane, check into the hotel and walk around to find somewhere to eat. My favorite memory of this process was in Paris. It was cold and rainy but everyone was STARVING so we set out in our group of 10 people to find a place to eat. We were probably turned away from four restaurants before being able to have a good French meal in a tiny local spot. From this experience I was taught so many things about France, like smaller parties are common and they favor delicacies that we don’t usually eat in California, such as frog legs. 

Image of Eiffel Tower
Original photo by Hannah Bains

Food is the KEY to learning about other cultures. Just from the presentation and aroma I can get a feel for what locals may keep in their pantry or even what their common dishes are. Going to different little restaurants and patisseries around the world that don’t just pop up on Yelp enhanced my love for baking and replicating certain dishes. Like in Zermatt, there was this tiny bakery in the village that had the most delicious marzipan chocolate cookies in the shape of  sheep. If it weren’t for finding that place, I wouldn’t have been able to bring back that concept into my own kitchen!

Girls skiing in the Swiss Alps
Original photo by Hannah Bains

Besides food (which is unarguably the best part of traveling), participating in different activities gives so much insight on different cultures. Whether it be siestas in Barcelona or only walking from place to place in Venice, the casual activities of different cities reveal the cultural values of those people.

When I’m visiting a new place, I try my best to adopt their habits and norms so that I can truly get an authentic sample of their lifestyle. Chamonix was the most intriguing to me because it was similar to the whole walking thing in Venice, but most people actually ski across town! I like to think I’m an avid skier, but just ask my family and they’ll tell you all about my epic ski failures. I don’t think I can exactly ski to class here, but walking as my main form of transportation is definitely something I’ve held onto from numerous different trips. Not only is it a form of exercise and a step toward healthy living, but it’s also environmentally friendly! 

Reading on a Plane
Original photo by Hannah Bains

No matter where I travel to, I’m sure to pick up a new hobby, favorite food or lesson. Being able to travel across the world with my family is something I will never take for granted since it’s shaped me into the person I am today. From Jamaican music and New York glamor, to Italian cuisine and Swiss hospitality, I love being able to bring back a little portion of the world into my own life. And although I may not be able to make the most perfect French macaron or ski across town without losing a ski, I just think it’s fun to try new things in new places. The next time you have the opportunity to take a trip somewhere, even if it’s just a two hour drive from home, take a minute to appreciate their lifestyle because maybe you too will be able to add a niche touch to your personal culture!

Hannah is a second-year Economics and Political Science major at UCLA, from Yuba City, California. She enjoys writing about a variety of topics from finance to up-and-coming trends! In her free time she loves baking, going to the beach, exploring the coffee shops of LA, and playing tennis.