Savor The Flavor: 5 Must-Try Food Spots Before Graduating From UCLA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The main reason I committed to UCLA was because I knew I would have a ton of eating options. Yes, this was honestly the most important factor to me. Besides being ranked #1 for our dining halls, UCLA students have access to tons of amazing food from so many different cuisines. I love exploring restaurants during the weekend or after a big accomplishment such as finishing midterms. I know one of the things I’ll miss most after graduating is the memories I made while grabbing food with my friends, so here are some nearby places I think all Bruins should try before graduating: 

Egg Tuck

Egg Tuck serves delicious Korean breakfast egg sandwiches that have everyone raving about them. These sandwiches have the fluffiest scrambled eggs and the brioche buns are baked in-house every day. Egg Tuck has three locations with their newest one located in Westwood right across from Whole Foods. If you’re not in the mood for a sandwich, Egg Tuck also serves breakfast burritos that look incredible. Ordering couldn’t be simpler: just walk up to the kiosk, decide what you want and pay!

Hours: 7:30 AM – 4 PM every day 

Bella Pita

Bella Pita is located just a few stores past In-N-Out and offers delicious customizable Mediterranean meals. My personal favorite is the Chicken Wowshi, which is a pita sandwich made-to-order. There’s a self-serve counter with various veggies and sauces (garlic, Tzatziki, hummus, hot sauce and more) so the flavor combinations are endless. However, the restaurant is tiny with three seats at most so I don’t recommend bringing a big group. 

Note: Bella Pita is open until 2 AM from Wednesday to Saturday so it’s the perfect spot for a late-night meal!

Millet Crepe 

Located in Sawtelle, Millet Crepe is well-known for its crème brûlée crepes filled with custard and your choice of fillings and/or ice cream. One Yelp review commented that the crepes are the “greatest invention ever.” Lines do get long on Friday and weekend nights so I would recommend going earlier in the evening. For those that don’t have a car, I use the Metro Micro bus (only $1) to get to Sawtelle during the week or the Big Blue Bus (Route 17 will drop you off a few stores away from Millet Crepe). 

Hours: 1 PM-10:30 PM every day

MOGUMOGU

MOGUMOGU specializes in authentic Japanese mazemen, which is a broth-less ramen. In order to get the full experience, MOGUMOGU recommends mixing the mazemen, adding some of their Umami vinegar and finishing off the meal with a scoop of rice mixed in. The Deluxe Mazemen seems to be the most popular and for good reason: it comes with sliced pork chashu, two eggs, minced garlic and minced spicy pork. While I haven’t had the chance to try it, just looking at the photos makes my mouth water. 

Note: Millet Crepe and MOGUMOGU are within walking distance of each other so if you’re planning to go to Sawtelle, try out both!

Dipnmix

Dipnmix has practically raised me over the past two years. If you know anything about me, I’m there on Friday nights regardless of the weather, workload or conflicting schedules. They have customizable crepes, acai bowls, milkshakes and smoothies. All the options are less than $12 and the crepes are big enough to split with a friend. While there’s not a lot of seating and their hours are odd, the taste is consistently perfect. I would recommend getting a crepe stuffed with Nutella, strawberries and bananas or the acai bowl. 

Note: Dipnmix opens late at 4 PM so this spot isn’t a post-morning workout acai bowl spot!

I know how expensive LA can get, especially when it comes to dining out. While I definitely can’t afford to eat out everyday, these are options that I think are relatively affordable and most of all, close to Westwood. Without a car, it can be so time-consuming to plan a non-dining hall meal with friends so all of these options are public transport or walking-friendly. As this quarter wraps up, I hope you take the time to treat yourself to all the food Westwood and its neighboring areas have to offer! 

Hannah is a third-year student at UCLA, majoring in Psychology. In her free time, she loves going to the beach, grabbing coffee, and painting her nails.