Is Being An Introvert a Bad Thing?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

If some asked you if you would rather be an “introvert” or an “extrovert”, chances are that you would be inclined to answer that you would rather be an “extrovert”. Many feel as though being an extrovert is better than being an introvert. Why is this? A lot of the values that our society pushes onto us are traits associated with being an extrovert. People who are outspoken and assertive are praised for possessing these characteristics because these characteristics are associated with success. However, is being an introvert such a bad thing? 

Someone just called you “introverted”. Chances are that a part of you would feel slightly insulted. The word introvert itself has, in a way, become a synonym for “shy”. Being an introvert, however, is composed of much more than simply being a shy person. Introverted people recharge by being alone while extroverted people recharge by being around other people. This means that you can be outgoing, outspoken, charismatic, and assertive and still be an introvert if the way that you recharge is by spending time alone. It also means that you might be shy and reserved but you recharge by being around others. We need to stop reducing the words “introvert” and “extrovert” to one-dimensional characteristics. 

Not only are being “introverted” and “extroverted” multi-dimensional, but they are also a spectrum. You may be 60% extroverted and 40% introverted or vice versa. Even those who are extremely extroverted need alone time to recharge. Likewise, even those who are extremely introverted crave social interaction. Rather than being one or the other, we must view being “introverted” and “extroverted” as a range. Whether you are introverted or extroverted, sometimes we need social interaction and other times we need time alone. The most important thing is being able to listen to your body when it tells you what you need. 

Overall, people are complicated and using the words “introvert” and “extrovert” helps us to understand people better. It is crucial, however, that we do not simplify these words because their distinguishing characteristics are more complex than simply being shy versus being outgoing. Whether you are more introverted or extroverted, you should never feel as though you are worse for being one or the other. 

Anastacia Son is a third year at UCSD and is a Political Science major with a concentration in Data Analytics and a minor in Literature/Writing.