This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

In recent years, morning and nighttime routines have become a hot commodity in the wellness community. There is an emphasis on waking up early, being active, writing in a journal, and a plethora of other things in the pursuit of being ready for the day. On the other hand, using a planner, decreasing screen time and taking nice bubble baths are pushed to ensure a perfect night. Yet, nobody really talks about the time in between when your energy begins to dwindle down and you want to throw your entire To-Do list away. The answer: a midday routine. In my opinion, a midday routine is just as important as the morning and nighttime routines. It gives you a chance to pour back into yourself so that you can power through the rest of the day. Here are my three tips to building a midday routine.

1. Take a clarity break.

Clarity breaks are helpful to allow you time away from your work space to take a deep breath, go for a walk, get some fresh air (especially if you are typically confided to an office space or classroom), and gain a new perspective. These breaks can alleviate any stress you may feel from an assignment or give you room to breathe as you prepare for an upcoming exam. Remember, staying confined to one space all day is not good for the body.

2. Eat a snack.

If you’re anything like me, it is easy for me to forget to eat and stay hydrated when I am busy knocking things out on my To-Do list for the day. Taking time out to grab a snack, especially to re-fuel your brain after working for so many hours is essential to keep going. You must fuel your mind if you want your brain to continue to work. If it is helpful, I set reminders on my phone to ensure I am drinking water, eating, and taking my multivitamins.

Blocked Border 1?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
YouTube

3. Have a ritual.

A ritual for you may be having a short dance party to your favorite songs, powering through a meditation, taking deep breaths, or emerging yourself in your music via headphones. Sometimes, my ritual includes having a brain dump where I quickly jot down everything on my mind. It can look differently for everyone, depending on your interests and what habits allow you to show up as your full self.

These are just three of many things you can do to pour back into yourself midday. To ensure that you reap the most benefits out of your midday routine, I would suggest building a morning routine also. Check out Marina’s article “Tips for Establishing an Effective Morning Routine” to begin creating yours today. If you struggle to stay consistent in taking care of yourself and sticking to these routines when your To-Do list is constantly growing, check out my article, “Prioritizing Self Even When the To-Do is Constantly Growing” for simple ways to take care of yourself each day.

I hope that in this finals season and beyond that you are able to find ways to take care of yourself. I suggest starting with just one thing you can do consistently (i.e writing in a journal, going for a walk, etc.) and observe how different you feel when you begin creating new and healthy habits that fill you up.

Imani is an Applied Psychology major with a desire to become a Child and Adolescent Psychologist. She is passionate about self-care, body positivity, and showing up authentically. She loves to read, write short stories, watch TV, and hang out with friends in her free time.