This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Christmas is one of my favorite holiday seasons throughout the entire year. One thing that may be against the norm  is my taste in Christmas movies. My number one movie is one that many people haven’t watched or heard of (which hurts my heart), but my parents and I have continued the tradition to watch it every Christmas. Movies 2-5 are others that I have to watch every year no matter what. Lastly, movies 6-9 are ones that I have watched once or twice that I remember liking when I saw them for the first time but I haven’t seen them in a while. Here is my ranking of my top nine movies to watch at Christmas time. 

Christmas with the Kranks

This is the best Christmas movie of all time. The thought of Christmas is usually made up by the 24 days leading to December 25:Christmas lights, hot cocoa, peppermint, Salvation Army bell ringers, cozy blankets, decorating and enjoying the season of joy that many of us get to experience. For me, my family always has a big Christmas Eve with all the cousins. We eat yummy food, talk about the year, and play “Dirty Santa,” also known as “White Elephant.” These are the specific things I think about when looking forward to Christmas. In this movie, they decide they are “Skipping Christmas” and will be going on a cruise to save money by not participating in the activities leading up to Christmas day, including their annual Christmas Eve party. However, In a turn of events when their daughter decides to come home for the holiday, they must cancel their trip and get the whole neighborhood to come together and make Christmas Eve as special as it usually is. I love that the movie has a large mix of funny, comforting and meaningful moments.

Happy Holidays from Madagascar: Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper

This is unfortunately not a movie, however it is one of the funniest Dreamworks’ shorts that I have ever watched and there is not one serious moment in it. This movie is a quick way to get in the Christmas spirit while enjoying the classic Madagascar Penguin strategies and humor.

Home Alone

I could not imagine being a young child home alone while my parents forgot me on their Christmas vacation.  Kevin McCallister obviously didn’t actually know how to take care of himself, but he was able to stand his ground and save himself throughout the entire movie. The movie included so many creative ways he fought off the bad guys. I love how unrealistic the plans were as it gave the movie a kid-type comedy vibe while also including adult-type jokes.

Santa Clause

This is one of those classic Christmas movies that everyone watches during the holiday season. The belief of Santa for many children has become seen as an immature negative, but for me, the joy that I felt every Christmas morning was unmatched. All the elves become trusting of the new santa and save him in order to rescue  Christmas for children around the world. I also love that elves are supposed to be hundreds of years old but literally look  5-10 years old.

A Bad Moms Christmas

This is one of the most realistic Christmas movies I have ever watched when looking at the hardship moms go through with financial and family struggles. For a movie about moms, it is filled with inappropriate jokes that will make you pee your pants. Maybe don’t watch this movie with your mom, however with a group of friends this will bring laughter to the party. 

Gremlins

Although this movie is not as comfy cozy as the others,  this movie includes the cutest character named Gizmo.  As the gremlins wreak havoc during Christmas eve across the town, the police and main characters must kill every gremlin and return Gizmo to his previous owner before Christmas day. The movie adds a different type of humor and vibe to the holiday watch list.

Home Alone 2

As the second movie to the first Home Alone, it brings more creativity to the tricks up Kevin McCallister’s sleeve. Although he is now in uncharted territory while also being alone, he finds a way to check into a very fancy hotel and trick the workers for a couple of days. He makes a friend along the way and  brings to life the light of the Rockefeller Tree when his mom knows exactly where to find him at the end of the movie. A very nice story with a couple of unforeseen twists throughout.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

One word: classic. This is such a cute movie that will forever live in my heart. As an outcast, Rudolph was given the chance to use his “weird” feature to help out the world. Rudolph showed the other reindeer that he would have been helpful to them the entire time if they had given him a chance. I love the message that is portrayed and the stop-motion animation of the movie is such a respected art.

A Charlie Brown Christmas

I like to watch this every year with my family because it showcases the different meanings of Christmas for all the kids. It is a classic Christmas movie with simple humor that makes you giggle. I watch the Charlie Brown movies for every holiday, and Christmas is no exception.

My annual Christmas movies may seem very different from other’s top choice but these are the ones that make my holiday season bright. One thing to remember, there are no good or bad Christmas movies. It’s the holiday spirit that counts. 

Ciara is pursuing a Bachelor of Business Administration with an emphasis of Marketing and will be graduating from UMKC in May 2024. She enjoys studying at coffee shops, shopping at antique stores, going on road trips, decorating, and personal growth.