This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

In honor of National Volunteer Week (April 17 – 23), I want to share the many ways that you can give back to your community even after volunteer week is over. This year, volunteer week was given the theme Empathy In Action. This encourages volunteers to form a deeper and meaningful connection with the community/organization they are serving for. Here are some ways that you can practice empathy while making a change in someone’s life.

Harvesters and local food pantries

Serving for Harvesters is a great way to actively work in the community to change someone’s life. This organization helps provide food to low-income families. My experience volunteering with Harvesters has been great so far. You get to interact with other people in the community and everyone is always grateful. There are dates all throughout the year, I would visit harvesters.org to see how you can get involved. There are also many food pantries throughout KC. This is another way that you can meet people in the community and show empathy for their situation. You can also serve right here at UMKC at the Kangaroo Food Pantry that is located in the Student Union. Below are a few food pantries to consider:

A Turning Point Food Pantry

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040d4ea5a828a2ff2-atpfood

Nourish KC

Kangaroo Food Pantry 

https://www.umkc.edu/get-involved/services/kangaroo-pantry.html

Camp Encourage

This camp offers an experience for youth with autism spectrum disorders to build skills in the summer in a comfortable environment. Here is a brief statement from the executive director, Kelly Lee, on what Camp Encourage is all about:
“Their summer camps are the heart of what they do and the most sought after programming and volunteer opportunities. Because every child deserves to experience the joys of summer camp, Camp Encourage is designed to support the unique (and wonderful!) abilities and needs of those with autism. Programming includes typical camp activities (zip lining, hiking, swimming, fishing) and also includes activities based on camper interests and skill levels, led by professionals in the field with expertise and big hearts. Volunteer opportunities include serving as a camp counselor, medical personnel, activity facilitator, photographer, and more! To read about the roles and dates, and to access the online application, visit https://www.campencourage.org/volunteer/#during-camp” – Kelly Lee

races

This is a great way to raise money and get your steps in for a great cause. KC offers many runs throughout the year that usually cost between $10-20 to participate in. You can invite a group to go with you or go solo but always remember that you can take it at your own pace. Occasionally, there is also an option to volunteer by handing out water or congratulate the runners as they finish. Here is a link that provides a list of 2022 races: 

https://runningintheusa.com/race/list/kansas%20city-MO/upcoming

KCMO ANgels

This organization offers two mentor programs for children and families a part of the foster care community in an effort to provide support and guidance. KCMO Angels offers the Love Box program and the Dare to Dream program to youth. In these programs, a youth or a family is assigned a mentor that meets with them monthly to help set and reach life goals. This is a great way to give back to the community and raise awareness for children in and out of the system. Here is a statement from case manager, Alyssa Whitman, on what a volunteer may experience working with KCMO Angels:

“Volunteers have reported that through their experience they are able to walk out what they feel their purpose is in life, give back to the community, use their experiences, whether positive or negative, to make a positive influence for another child’s life. Other’s feel they are able to model their faith through the action of loving and walking alongside others and give their children a tangible way to understand and relate to others” – Alyssa Witman

Check out kcmoangels.org to learn more.

These four volunteer opportunities are only a very small portion of the organizations you could serve. This summer, make sure to rejuvenate and practice self-care but if you have the time, find an organization you are passionate about and volunteer. Practice empathy in action by giving back to those in need and serving your community.

Hello everyone! I am a first-year student at UMKC studying criminal justice and psychology. Despite not being an education major, I love working with children. In my free time, I can be found at a preschool or babysitting. Some of my hobbies are journaling and baking. I can also often be found re-watching the vampire diaries or binging 80s movies.