Life > Experiences

Being a Freshman in College: Let’s Talk About It

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Being a freshman in college is genuinely the most exciting, yet scary experience in your first years of adulthood. In just a few months over the summer, you go from homecooked meals, driving around with your friends, curfews, chores, parents, and pets to an ultimate feeling of freedom. For some the change is easy and exciting, but for others it can be difficult. Wherever you fit on that spectrum, it’s okay to feel alone and challenged during this transition. As a sophomore in college, and someone who has been through it their freshman year, I wanted to share some of the things I have learned along the way in hopes it can help to make your freshman experience a memorable one.

1. Engage in campus life

For some, college is often your first experience living away from home, but no amount of summer camp can adequately prepare you for this change. For starters, go to the freshman welcome events. Although many new students think it’s “pointless” or “cringe” to attend freshman events run by your school, some actually prove to be beneficial. These events are a great way to get an overview about the resources your campus has to provide, and to shine a little light on expectations. With these events you can also learn about clubs or organizations on campus that might interest you. Clubs are a great way to find where you belong and to make new friends.

2. Independence and responsibility

While college does come with lots of creative freedom, it also comes with lots of responsibility. You will be challenged with difficult decisions in which you will have to weigh the pros and cons of your options. No matter the situation, learning from your mistakes is a huge part of being independent. It is also important to take initiative and set goals when it comes to your classes. College classes offer lots of resources for students like teacher assistant help, study sessions, tutoring, and more. Simply sending an email or visiting a professor after class can help aid in the transition from high school to college level courses. Setting academic goals is extremely helpful in the sense that it allows you to reach your full potential. That being said, it is not the end of the world if you fail your first college exam, but it how you chose to bounce back that determines your responsibility.

3. You don’t have to be best friends with your roommate

Yes it’s true! Coming from someone who was rather on the unlucky side when it came to roommates, your year will not be a bust if you aren’t friends with them. Since most students live a dorm their first year, it means having to share a space with someone else, even a completely random person. No matter if you met on Instagram, or were placed together, set boundaries right off the bat. Discuss things like habits, preferences, and schedules to set a foundation of respect for each others time and space. Examples of this could be agreeing on downtime/lights out, visitors, overnight guests, cleanliness, and chores. Decorating the room together is a fun bonding activity as long as each person has an equal voice.  After move in, try to invite your roommate to social events or club activities that you partake in. Showing the other person that you would like to include them could lead to being more open with each other down the road. Just like in friendships and relationships, communicating is important with your roommate. If something is concerning you or making you uncomfortable, ask them nicely to have a mature conversation about it. If you find that your living situation is not working out entirely, you are not alone. There are plenty of resources like talking to your resident assistant or hall director about further options. Do remember, sometimes having a roommate is frustrating, but try to not take it out on them. They might feel the same way from time to time.

4. Have fun and explore new things

Besides classes and responsibility, college is meant to be fun. In your next four years not only will you have a degree in something you love, but you will make lifelong friendships and connections. While academics are important, it is just as important to take time for yourself and to enjoy your college experience. Sometimes the best memories made are from those last-minute plans, so embrace the spontaneity that college has to offer. College campuses also offer a wide range of internships or volunteer work that could be helpful in exploring new hobbies or possible future jobs.

While there are lots of important things to know going into your freshman year, the most beneficial is to enjoy time with your friends, attend events, and make the most of your freshman year. This year is the time of exploration and growth, so embrace new experiences, reach out for help when needed, stay true to who you are, and have fun!

Hii!! I'm Kathryn, a sophmore Environmental Science major! I enjoy reading, writing, watching movies and going on hikes! I joined Her Campus my freshman year, and I am excited to see where it takes me throughout my college experience.