Bows, Ballet Flats, and Belts: A Guide to Fall Fashion Trends

Updated Published

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As fall comes upon us, we bring the most iconic concepts in fashion to our wardrobe for the season. Now, as we all know, trends change like the color of the leaves every fall. I’d like to share with you my top five favorite trends that I’m planning to wear in my outfits over the next few months, and maybe some that you can too. 

1. Ballet flats

Ballet was one of my favorite activities growing up. Little did I know that I’d see people wearing pink wrap tops, leg warmers, and ballet flats as part of their outfits a few years later. I like to go for a dark red flat with the bow in the front and little straps in the middle which totally adds to that true ballet aesthetic. The best thing about ballet flats is that they go with both casual and formal outfits! I like to wear them with a mini black dress or straight jeans. These are my favorite ones from Old Navy. You can opt for these or even a Mary Jane style, both are timeless! 

1. Baggy jeans 

Now, I know when it comes to jeans, there are conflicting opinions about what looks good and what simply doesn’t. I like to think that there is no real answer to what the best jeans style is, and everyone looks good in what they feel best in. For me, it’s these ’94 Baggy Jeans from Levi’s. These give me the best fit, but honestly, you can find baggy jeans from any brand. They go well with oversized sweaters, more fitting tops, and of course with ballet flats! These are going to be one of my go-to jeans this fall. I own a pair of both light wash and dark wash so there are endless possibilities for the tops they can be paired with. 

1. Knit bows

If you’re anything like me, you’ve fallen in love with the recent bow trend. I like bows on everything: my hair, purse, home decor, the list goes on. This fall, I plan on repping the bows through warmer wear, specifically sweaters. Here is a cute bow sweater from a boutique, I would pair these with some Doc Marten Mary Janes and light-wash baggy jeans. Want to dress it down? Some loose linen pants with Birkenstock clogs and a slick back bun are the perfect comfy yet stylish look. If you’re feeling like accessorizing, some dainty gold jewelry would go perfectly with this! If you’d like to find some bow sweaters like this more locally, I recommend paying a visit to some of the boutiques and vintage stores near campus in downtown Portsmouth. 

1. Mini jean skirts

Jean skirts have always been the moment in everyday fashion, but more recently, denim mini-skirts have taken more of a presence in casual streetwear. This fall, I’m looking to pair them with some thick brown and black tights to stay warm, especially as the weather becomes less favorable toward bare legs. These are a pair from Edikted that are to die for, one of my current favorite brands. I recommend keeping an eye out for some of their new drops as they start to release new fall styles, they have more affordable prices as well!

1. Boho Belts

Last but most certainly not least, the cherry on top of an outfit, is belts. More specifically, boho belts, which have been making their way back in style and into everyday wear. The only difference is now, their purpose isn’t only to hold your jeans up. These would go cute on top of any plain fitted dress or paired with a mini jean skirt (like the one linked above!) You can opt for some cute brown leather belts with gold detailing like this one from Princess Polly, they have more styles on their website as well! If you’re looking for more of a light finishing touch to a look, you can find some silver waist chains online too.

That’s all for now, if you are interested in finding more items to add to your fall wardrobe, check out the shops I linked to see what they offer. For a quick tip, make sure to check out the sale sections, they will most likely have pieces that you can save for the summer of next year! After all, it’s never too early to start shopping for another season!

Hi! My name is Jenin and I'm studying Business Administration with a specialization in Marketing at the University of New Hampshire. I'm from Bow, New Hampshire. I'm interested in fashion, art, and I love to go out with friends!