Onion Dice
Onion Dice
Alex Frank / Spoon
Wellness

How to Make the Best Penne Alla Vodka

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Remember the TikTok viral Gigi Hadid pasta? Here’s how to make delicious penne alla vodka for you and your friends: Recipe serves 4.

Ingredients

Quarter cup olive oil

Clove of garlic

Quarter of an onion

Quarter cup tomato paste

One tablespoon vodka

Salt

Pepper

Quarter cup of grated parmesan cheese (or more!)

Crushed red pepper

Half cup of heavy cream 

One tablespoon butter

Penne or the pasta of your choice

Steps

1. Add enough olive oil to cover the bottom of your pan and place it on the stove at medium heat. 
  2. Dice a clove of garlic and a quarter of an onion into small pieces. You can add more to give your sauce a stronger taste. 
  3. Toss the onion and garlic into the olive oil and allow it to simmer until they get golden brown.
  4. Start cooking your pasta, just boil it as you normally would in a separate pan. When you drain the water, remember to preserve about a quarter cup of the pasta water.
  5. Next, add a quarter cup of tomato paste (about half of a small can) to the pan. 
  6. Allow this to cook until the tomato paste changes from bright red, to a brownish red color.
  7. At this point, add one tablespoon of vodka. You can substitute this for water and it will still taste great. 
  8. Add salt, pepper, and chili flakes to your liking.
  9. Next, pour half a cup of heavy cream into the pan, stir it up, and take it off the heat.
  10. Add as much parmesan cheese as you want (or about a quarter cup), that quarter cup of pasta water you preserved, and a tablespoon of butter. 
  11. Stir until everything is combined and pour your pasta into the pan, mixing it into the sauce.
  12. Plate your pasta, adding a garnish or a sprinkling of parmesan, and enjoy! 
Leah Cavanaugh is a freshman at UNH majoring in Medical Microbiology. She loves the beach and watching hockey games. She enjoys playing tennis and listening to music.