Six Ways to Celebrate Halloween in College

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As the month of October draws to a close, Halloween and its spooky celebrations are likely at the forefront of everyone’s mind. It’s no secret that most college students choose to attend house parties for their Halloween festivities, but that’s not the only option. If you’re not a fan of crowds or parties, or if you’d just rather switch it up this year, this article will explore some fresh and fun ideas to make this Halloween unforgettable!

Host a Mini Trick-or-Treat

If you’re nostalgic for the trick-or-treating of your childhood, why not host one of your own? For those who live in dorms, this is a great chance to get to know the people living around you. Ask your RA about setting up a trick-or-treat on your floor, and be sure to stock up on some good candy beforehand! If you’d rather go for something smaller, try hosting a trick-or-treat with a group of friends instead. Buy everyone’s favorite candy and visit each other’s dorms or apartments to bring home the trick-or-treat feel!

Bake Up Halloween Treats

Halloween is a holiday dedicated to tasty snacks, so spend the night making some of your own! You can grab some friends and try making a new recipe together, or everyone can bring something different and you can all have a taste test. Might I recommend pumpkin bread, apple turnovers, cranberry orange muffins, or pumpkin spice cupcakes?

Seek Out Campus Celebrations

There is no shortage of fun Halloween activities to take part in at UNH! Many clubs and student organizations host autumn or Halloween-themed celebrations during late October. Play lawn games and snack on fall treats at Mosaico’s Fall Fiesta on October 27, or visit the haunted house at MUB Fright Night on October 30! Be sure to check clubs’ Instagram pages to stay updated on their upcoming events.

Watch a Spooky Movie

What’s better than a movie night? If you’re looking for a tried-and-true celebration idea, invite your friends over to your dorm or apartment to watch a Halloween movie. For those who want something scary, you can turn on a horror flick like Scream or Carrie. If you’d rather something more relaxed, try Hocus Pocus or Ghostbusters; or for a real classic, put on Casper or It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

Paint Some Festive Pumpkins

Everyone loves a decorative Halloween pumpkin, but carving them is a messy and time-consuming job. Instead, try painting pumpkins. Get some craft paint and mini pumpkins from the store, and you’re good to go! You can go traditional with a Jack-O-Lantern face, try something new with a ghost or an autumn leaf pattern, or get creative by using magazine cutouts and Modge Podge to make a fall collage. Craft your pumpkins outdoors to maximize the fall vibes (and to ensure the paints won’t make a mess in your room)!

Relax with a Halloween Self-Care Night

Sometimes you just need a break from the hustle and bustle of college life, and a self-care night with your friends or roommates is the perfect way to do that. Dim the lights, play some calming fall instrumentals, break out the cozy blankets, and do whatever relaxing activities you feel like doing. This could include painting your nails, taking a long hot shower, putting on a face mask, making a fun craft, or enjoying your favorite fall snack or tea.

Caroline is an environmental science major in the University of New Hampshire class of 2027. She is an avid nature lover and hopes to work in natural resource policy after graduation. She enjoys baking, running, gardening, and of course writing!