Staying Safe at College: Tips You Need to Know

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

“1/5 Women are Sexually Assaulted While Attending College”

https://www.whitelawpllc.com/blog/college-campus-sexual-assault-statistics/#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20National%20Sexual,perpetrators%20that%20the%20victim%20knows.

It’s a Friday night, and you’re heading to a party across campus. You’re excited, but there’s something in the back of your mind—what if you’re not as safe as you think? You’re not alone, a report done by Endsleigh and the National Student Union found that 70% of college women expressed concerns about their safety on campus. College life is full of new experiences, freedom, and excitement, but it also comes with its own risks. Whether you’re heading to class, studying late in the library, or hanging out with friends, staying safe on campus should be a top priority. What’s the good news? Staying safe doesn’t have to be complicated.

Be safe walking at night

If possible, always walk with someone. If no one is available to walk with, try to call a friend, don’t wear earbuds, carry a mace or a personal alarm, and text a friend or family member when you’re home safe.

Never tell someone you just met where you live

This is a random but important one. In college, a common question during small talk is “Where are you living right now?” Never tell a stranger, regardless of the scenario, where you are living. This is important to keeping you safe.

Don’t deal with your problems alone

No matter what you are going through, there are resources to help you. UNH SHARPP Center for Interpersonal Violence Awareness, Prevention, and Advocacy, is an important and confidential resource that can help you. PACS, Psychological and Counseling Services, is a UNH resource dedicated to serving students through confidential counseling, consultation, outreach, and prevention. Every college offers similar resources for their students. Do your research and don’t tackle these alone. Never feel ashamed for needing help because these resources are only there to help you.

Party smart

Are you going to a party? Be smart about it. Go out with people you trust. Don’t leave anyone behind and ensure each person you go out with gets home safe. Watch your drinks; don’t let your drink out of sight or take open drinks from anyone.

Trust your gut

The most important item on this, trust your gut! This is your guiding instinct, listen! Always leave a situation that doesn’t feel right.

Understand the definition of consent

Consent is an unambiguous yes from both parties involved. It must be an informed yes (not inebriated.) You can consent to one activity but deny another. Always advocate for yourself.

Know when to leave

This is an important one and often overlooked. Knowing when to leave will save you from trouble. When deciding whether it’s time to leave a gathering, important factors to consider include: feeling uncomfortable due to overcrowding, the noise level exceeding a tolerable threshold, and the presence of people becoming physically ill. These can be indicators that the environment is becoming unsafe or overwhelming.

Anna Schultz-Girl Sitting On Bed Facing Wall
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Majoring in History/Law at UNH | Class of 2028