Life > Experiences

The Best New England Fall Activities

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Not only is autumn a stunning time of year, but it’s also a quintessential part of the New England experience. From the vibrant leaves with their warm burnt edges to the crisp chilly air that begs for a sweater, the season is full of unique charm that brings with it a horde of fun activities to complete your autumn bucket list.

Go leaf peeping:

Grab some of your friends, pop on your favorite playlist, and vibe along the highway or through the countryside while you enjoy the gorgeous oranges, yellows, and reds adorning the branches. Or, for a truly spectacular view, head to the mountains to level up your experience. This activity can take as much or as little time as you want; just decide how far you want to drive.

Visit a New England farm:

From pumpkin patches to apple picking to corn mazes, there are so many activities to choose from when visiting any of the local farms scattered throughout New England. You don’t have to go far to find one! And some locations may offer hayrides or scarecrow-making crafts.

Try different classic New England treats:

If you’re in the mood for something dessert, try visiting different bakeries or road stands in search of the best New England sweet treat. Autumn isn’t complete without a warm apple cider donut, some gooey apple crisp, a scoop of maple ice cream, or an old-fashioned whoopie pie.

Get into the spooky season:

New England really knows how to get into the Halloween spirit with their multitude of different scary attractions across the states. From traditional haunted houses to haunted hayrides and forest walks, there are a variety of ways to get your spooky fix. New England is also rich in history; consider making a visit to an old, historic town for a ghost tour or take a day trip to Salem, Massachusetts.

Journalism major at the University of New Hampshire, class of '25.