Campus Cutie Mariano Grovas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The Basics:Name: Mariano GrovasAge: 19Year: SophomoreMajor: General Studies

This week’s Campus Cutie is someone I’m used to seeing.  His gorgeous face,and funny remarks on Mondays and Wenesdays at 8:30am always made my day. He’s the sweetest classmate you could think of. “But professor, I don’t want to kill any more trees” (referring to a project) I guess you could say I was starstruck when I first met him. Unfortunately, though, he will no longer be sporting his awesome long hair. But that won’t affect his vivacious personality. Meet this week’s Campus Cutie: Mariano Grovas.

HCUPR: Tell us a bit about yourself.Mariano: I love nature, rock climbing,and bushcraft, among a lot of other things. My high school class nicknamed me the Bear Grylls [host of Man vs. Wild] of Puerto Rico.

HCUPR: What is your greatest achievement and why?Mariano: Passing with the Outward Bound [a wilderness survival class] course in Maine. It was 21 days on a sailboat in very cold water and I didn’t know anyone there. Why is it my because achievement? Because it showed that if you have mental strength, you can get through anything. Most situations are 80% mental and 20% physical.

HCUPR: What does majoring in General Studies mean?Mariano: To me, General Studies is probably one of the most enriching bachelors’ degree because it means taking a little of every possible major and making it into one.

HCUPR: Who inspires you?Mariano: My father, mother , Matt Graham and Bear Grylls. My father and mother have unbelievable drives for success and happiness that I admire. Matt Graham and Bear Grylls are the survival instructors that have motivated me to try out this type of camping style.

HCUPR: If you could go back to any era, which one would it be, why?Mariano: The Apache era, Viking era and the Feudal Japan era. All three cultures are extremely rich and very interesting.

HCUPR: What are your aspirations for your future?Mariano: Become a survival instructor and have my own survival course camp.

HCUPR: What’s something not many people know about you?Mariano: I have a particular set of skills that not only help me survive in any kind of environment, they allow me to thrive. I live cooking and I do MMA, Judo, Jujitsu, Thai boxing and I do equestrian-only jumping.

HCUPR: What is your ideal date, and what are some characteristics you seek in an ideal partner?Mariano: Going to the movies, having dinner, or a walk by the beach or el viejo San Juan. Hiking or going to swim in a river. I don’t really know what to say about the ideal partner, but someone nice, adventurous and that loves nature.

Nahir Robles was a former member of the Her Campus at UPR chapter from 2013 until 2018. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Integrative Biology. Some of her interests include writing, modeling, and wrestling. She is currently a Her Campus Mentor and works as a Pathology Assistant.
Gabrielle Thurin is a Sociology major at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras campus. She interned at the professional services firm Ernst & Young during the spring of 2013 and spent the summer of 2013 as an intern at the prestigious law firm Fiddler, González, & Rodríguez, P.S.C., where she currently works part-time as a law clerk in the Foreclosures department. Gabrielle enjoys reading, pop culture references, vintage-inspired dresses, and discovering new things. Also, Netflix.