Life > Academics

Canva For Students Will Save Your Semester (And Life)!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

*This article is NOT sponsored by Canva

Have you been looking for an app that allows you to explore new ways to design presentations and other creative projects? I got you! From presentations to social media, schedules, videos, photo editing, and more, Canva is THE app!

AD 4nXeV1x55P2kWmrgMeSOLcUADJdn0C lVqmQh Q2lKDrZY7RmNY tJBlfH0Z3kvddgaHqPM93Xq0XpASC64JSITbvF2dAXLo C2gZMYXI ynoVasDfqFQGyue YO6DfQTjDQ8m4stQgLv3tLl1n36cZ XPiXJ?key=P1Y o5fQyGdSIsL7s5M8IQ

Retrieved from Pinterest

I’ve been using Canva for a decent amount of time now… I’m a fourth year student and Canva has been with me since early high school! You do the math–I’ll give you a clue: A LOT. So, it’s safe to say that I’ve witnessed most of Canva’s updates and new resources firsthand. This brand appears to be effectively oriented and dedicated to providing only the best service.

I’m an education major so cute, creative, and colorful presentations are my go-to. However, they feature a variety of presentation templates that fit into almost any occasion: professional, minimalist, holiday-themed, business, education, etc. And that’s just considering the presentations generated by Canva per se, or created by Canva collaborators (people who choose to publicly share their creations). Canva also has the options to design presentations from scratch or have presentations created and tailored to your specific wants and needs by using their recently introduced AI features. 

AD 4nXfHcXmzmd03FM1kTrXSCrVIeAMmnd7lgtoBqea3zYcfzNgBPOmDdQwjIet0J6PhJ2Q4iVm36basd 5y2MFxXm4usi8RhhnCGph7pMVEFStN4omLdprQnMNhM5AeFgcIFV40rPUVAYFN9 goTJFNnPPg7yh1?key=P1Y o5fQyGdSIsL7s5M8IQ

Retrieved from Pinterest

Another great feature Canva provides is photo and video editing. If you’re a perfectionist  like me, this tool can save you from yourself in a heartbeat. Someone photobombed your insta-ready picture? Canva’s got your back! You recorded a video essay that your professor assigned and noticed you accidently did the millennial pause? Canva, most miraculously, has your back! Along that line, Canva also recently added a new feature where you can record yourself while presenting your design. So, if Zoom isn’t working out for you, just head to Canva where you can divide your videos/recordings by slide and do various takes without having to stop the entire thing and start over from the top. 

AD 4nXcipD1woeFI wlwQjhKsUYyxIZ7EXmjdF 7No2XqUQN RyuPFJ80Ul9x z0Rl0fmtzcCP2eBhyUK378hsWPT2ISHMTsCHJok97w6nUoJrLvtJzfKqx6q C1XbRdZbGmg4f4XbKBtJ gvRSfuhwOtEsBo12?key=P1Y o5fQyGdSIsL7s5M8IQ

Retrieved from Pinterest

Last, but certainly not least, Canva has taken the initiative to partner with various apps to maximize design creation and sharing. From Instagram to Music Maker, Voice Over, QR Code Makers, etc. You can check out all the possibilities on the app–or website for those of us with computers!

I should disclose that, up until recently, I used Canva for students (free). However, this year, I switched to Canva Pro, and I think it’s the best decision I’ve ever made. I use it for academic purposes–AKA all my classes, social media handling at AsER Organization, personal designs (whether it’s photo editing, redesigning book covers, etc), among many others! Certainly, I fear I wouldn’t be able to pass the semester–or my life–without it! 

Pennélope Alers López is the team's secretary and a writer at the Her Campus at UPR chapter. Pennélope's favorite topics to write about range from entertainment to academics. She writes a bit of everything! Beyond Her Campus, Pennélope works as a Barista at Starbucks Escorial. She loves serving warm coffee and putting a smile on everyone’s faces. She is also a junior at the University of Puerto Rico Río Piedras Campus, completing a Bachelor's degree in Special Education. In her free time, Pennélope enjoys doing arts and crafts and spending time with her dog, Lilo. She is also a rom-com aficionado—she has a list of over 100 romance movies and series that she has watched throughout the years.