The Femme Fatale Movement: A Thought-Out Perspective On “Dark Psychology”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Over the last few years, the femme fatale movement has been leaving its impact on Gen Z women, especially as it appeals to their desire of feeling empowered in society. Nevertheless, in what way does the movement empower and strengthen women? How does the use of manipulation and control fit into the narrative of the femme fatale and what implications could it create?

What is a Femme Fatale?

A femme fatale, also known as a maneater or vamp, is described by many as a woman who uses her assets of “femininity,” such as her charisma, intelligence, and sexual attractiveness, to control people, especially men. It’s a woman that provides for herself and focuses solely on her own personal gain, no matter the cost.  According to most sources, the femme fatale concept focuses on the use of “hidden meanings” and on the woman getting whatever she wants because of specific traits that differentiate her from the rest of the characters. These traits, which involve manipulation, control, seduction, among other qualities, are all known as “dark psychology” traits.

What is Dark Psychology?

Dark psychology is classified as “the art and science of manipulation and mind control.” A person’s intention when using these tactics is what truly makes it “dark.” These are mostly used for personal gain and need. To recognize someone’s weakness, the person uses empathy wisely while being aware of their own vulnerabilities. It is important to note that this concept is controversial for being problematic, as it contributes to ethical issues and concerns regarding how people treat each other.

How does it connect with the femme fatale concept?

Seemingly, dark psychology plays an important role in the femme fatale.There are many videos on social media that provide examples of these tactics. For example, on TikTok, there are promotions of books that speak of the dark psychology in the femme fatale, and how people who know how to utilize their assets have a powerful advantage. 

The femme fatale movement is characterized by its portrayal of empowered women wielding charm and manipulation against the world, leveraging their femininity and intelligence to navigate a society shaped by power dynamics led by the patriarchy. Certainly, since it became popularized in the 1930s, its main point was for women to gain control back from men, to eventually take back or regain power from the assets that actively prevented them from growing as people. Nevertheless, it’s crucial to acknowledge the ethical implications inherent in the use of dark psychology tactics, as they often involve manipulation for personal gain, and could potentially lead to harmful repercussions.

As the femme fatale movement continues to captivate audiences and influence pop culture, it’s essential to critically engage with its portrayal of power and manipulation. While embracing themes of empowerment and self-reliance, there should also be caution when it comes to particular concepts like these. By understanding these ideas carefully and encouraging ethical behavior in interpersonal interactions, we can navigate the complexity of power in the femme fatale.

Katteryn M. Hilario Valdez is an aspiring writer at Her Campus at UPR. The topics she covers in her articles range from entertainment and fashion to life experiences and mental health awareness. Besides her role on Her Campus, Katteryn is currently a Senior at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, majoring in Psychology. However, she’s also in the works on getting a second major on Journalism. She plans to use her knowledge and practice of writing and media literature to build a successful career on the mix of the two. When she isn’t writing for Her Campus, you can see her writing and reading poetry when she’s inspired, as well as writing essays on the types of media that catch her eye. You can also find her writing songs and doing karaoke in her alone time. In fact, she loves music related shows like High School Musical: The Musical: The Series or Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and romantic comedies like 13 Going On 30. She also spends her time digging into anything video game related in her downtime. Most of all, she has an interest in anything she can learn and improve from, always looking to grow her practical and logical skills for her professional and personal career.