International Dog Day: ways to appreciate your dog

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

International Dog Day is celebrated on August 26th of every year, to honor and appreciate the special and beautiful bond between humans and dogs. This day is completely dedicated to every doggo who brings joy, love and companionship to our lives. They not only provide us unconditional love and loyalty, but they also serve as therapy animals, service animals and can even help us with most likely anything, such as search and rescue operations. International Dog Day is a day to raise awareness about the importance of treating dogs with love, care and respect. Having dogs in our life can be life changing, since you get to share, grow and make memories with them throughout the years. Make sure to enjoy these little things and the time you have with them while it lasts, they may go but the core memory remains forever in your heart.

Here are some ways to appreciate your best friend:

1. Quality Time: spending time with them means the world to them. It won’t hurt taking a few minutes of your life to dedicate a little quality time to give them attention. 
  2. Showing Affection: There are many ways into how one can show affection like patting their head softly, giving them belly rubs, hugging them and talking in a soft and smooth tone in a way they feel safe around you.
  3. Taking them to places: explore places together or take them on new adventures outside so they don’t stay inside alone and without knowing what’s to find out. One of these places could be the beach and if you don’t want to go so far then a walk on the sidewalk will be nice too. 
  4. Taking them to the vet: it is important to take them to the vet and have them a check up just to know about their well being or to figure out what’s wrong. We all would like our dogs to be perfectly fine so they can live with us a little longer.  
  5. Keep them cleaned and groomed: Remember your own dog is a visual representation of how you treat yourself too. Taking care of their hygiene means everything and also they can feel clean and happy. 
  6.  Involve them in your daily routine: In a way they can feel more close to you like going on car rides or simply laying on the couch lazily. 
  7.  Respect their space: whenever they sleep comfortably or they’re playing with their toys, just leave them alone if they’re in peace. Interrupting while they’re at peace can make them really mad and lose trust a little. 
  8.  Always show gratitude: in words or just simply giving them a warm hug. Anything to demonstrate appreciation such as gifting them toys, plushies or treats. mostly affection and kisses. 
Julybet is a writer at the Her Campus at Universidad de Puerto Rico at Mayagüez chapter. She is a very passionate enthusiast for films & music, she is also an advocate for human rights. Earlier in her teen years, she started to be drawn to activism and fighting for equality and justice. She strongly believes that everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and much respect; and is committed to use her voice for those who can't, making a difference in the world. In addition to her advocacy work, her love for music and film is as much as important. She tends to find solace and inspiration in the power of storytelling through music and visual arts. Always seeking a meaning whenever she's listening to music or watching a movie, she's trying to understand the message. Overall, she strives to make a positive impact in her personal and professional life. By combining her passion for human rights with her love for music and films. Hoping to inspire others to join her for a more and inclusive society. “I believe that through creativity and activism, we can truly make a difference in the world”.