ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Is Winter Really That Bad?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

First of all, winter is the perfect season for binge-watching. Whether you decide to watch Friends for the fifth time or indulge in Hallmark’s cheesy holiday movies, you are certain to be entertained. While the cold weather is extremely inconvenient, it allows for an excuse to snuggle up in way too many blankets, drink way too much hot chocolate and stay in bed for way too long of a time. Also, if you have a significant other, friend, pet, or even a stuffed animal, snuggles are always better when it is cold outside. Second of all, you get to listen to holiday music all the time, even if you have secretly been listening to Mariah Carey’s “All I want for Christmas Is you” all year long anyway. 

Photo by Melina Nuttall

Next, the Instagram photo opportunities are almost endless. The white snow as a background is very aesthetically pleasing even if you have to suffer in the freezing cold for 30 minutes trying to find the perfect angle. Even though these photos might look less lonely if you have friends with you, it is super easy to have a winter photoshoot by yourself too. Timer-cam pictures really have come a long way. 

If you are athletic, unlike myself, there are many winter activities you can enjoy. You can go skiing, sledding, snowboarding, ice skating, etc. I personally am only capable of building mediocre snowmen, but I applaud those who can do more.

Not everyone celebrates the winter holidays, but for those who do, there is no better feeling than being surrounded by the warmth of family, friends, and good food. With the holidays comes plenty of breaks from school besides snow days. Winter breaks are the perfect opportunity to decompress and relax after a stressful semester. It is always nice to have time to find yourself again and do the things that make you feel happy.

Photo by Melina Nuttall

In conclusion, I know that winter can seem inconvenient with the cold weather and snow, but it is important to try and find the good in everything. Coming from someone who prefers summer, winter really might not be that bad as long as you keep an open mind and a positive outlook.

Hi, my name is Melina Marie Nuttall! I am from Massachusetts and I am a Communications major looking to follow a career path in Public Relations.