Bruce Lee statue in Tsim Tsa Tsui
Bruce Lee statue in Tsim Tsa Tsui
Original photo by Clemence Sawadogo
Life > Experiences

Summer In Hong Kong

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Whenever summer rolls around I see it as time to get my passport out and see what part of the world I am going to explore next. I am so grateful to have traveled to Cameroon, France, Switzerland, and Mexico. Even traveling through the states is so exciting because they are so diverse from each other. As a child, I moved around a lot and having access to so much of the world has been a huge part of my identity. I got to learn French and have an expanded palette at such an early age. There was no way I was going to live this life without exploring every corner of the world. In my mind, the next big box to check off would be going to Asia. So, when my mom told me we were going to be spending a week and a half in Hong Kong and Tokyo, I was elated.  

I made sure to pack all my Instagram-worthy outfits and hopped onto the plane for a 16-hour ride. Of course, after two long semesters at college, I was exhausted. But immediately energized when I thought about all the adventures I would have, the sights I would see, and how I would finally be able to authentically enjoy foods I love. After some mandatory rest, we went to the waterfront at Tsim Tsa Tsui, one of the most popular viewing points in Hong Kong, and it was gorgeous. Even though the sky was overcast, looking at the water felt so serene. I had always felt a connection to the water (maybe it’s my cancer sun) but there was something so enchanting about being somewhere completely new to me. The skyscrapers were peeking into the clouds, and the billboards were lit up in such a way that even if I could not understand the language, I would have been so happy to buy the product. I was then taken out of this tranquil when my family and I noticed that people were staring at us. Suddenly, it came back to me. During my endless scrolls on TikTok, I had seen a few videos of some Black influencers talking about their experiences in Asia and how they had been approached and asked for pictures. It is common for the people living there to have never seen a Black person before in their life. Putting two and two together, I understood that this was now happening to us. One woman was finally bold enough to come up and ask for a picture. I was completely taken aback but then decided to oblige her, thinking “What’s the harm?” We went on with our day and stopped to get some ice cream (which was amazing btw).  

Then suddenly, a tour was walking by, and everyone was staring at us. Some people decided to get creative and stand behind us pretending to take pictures with the shops but making sure we were in the shot. It was just one of those things where you are in such disbelief that you cannot do anything but laugh about it. After brushing that off we went to see Bruce Lee’s statue which was commissioned after he had received the “Star of the Century” award for the Hong Kong Film Awards. It was super inspiring to see someone who had done so much for the community and uplifted Asian voices, especially at a time when executives tried so hard to ignore them. Just as I was in awe of the statue, I was swarmed by a horde of women in awe asking for pictures with me. Phones were out, and I was so excited. I felt like the only thing I could do was say yes. So, there I was for what felt like forever as these women all took pictures with me like I was some kind of celebrity. I will not lie, when you put it that way, it’s exciting. Pretending like you have a hit new song out that everyone can’t get enough of. On another day, we were out exploring some gardens, as all tourists in Hong Kong do, when a woman came up and asked for pictures with my mom. Naturally as the most confident woman ever she said yes, and then one person multiplied to the whole family. Everyone wanted a picture with her, but to show off what?  

When I got back to the hotel each night, I was so confused. What was so astonishing about seeing Black people on the street that we had to be stopped and made into some show? I was aware that in Asia there was a culture that favored lighter skin, also known as colorism. People with darker skin are seen to be less competent or attractive. Wanting to escape these prejudices, there is a huge market for skin-lightening products.  Millions of people are convinced that there is something wrong with themselves and they feed into this extremely harmful system. In Mumbai, India fifty-four percent reported having at least trying a skin-lightning product. Fifty-five percent of the global market share for this industry comes from Asia. This market was worth 9.88 billion USD in 2021, and this number is just expected to increase. Part of the reason that all this money is spent is to make others believe that as an individual you are of a certain caliber. In ancient societies those who worked under the sun and tan were typically poor, whereas those with money could stay inside and keep their lighter complexion. Women with darker skin are seen to be less desirable as brides as it was custom to look for marriages that would bring economic benefits to both parties. It is horrifying to think that so much money is being spent to erase something so beautiful. That as a human there are certain things that can literally decrease our value in this world. 

Then that made me question if they thought I was ugly. I had already had such a long journey in learning to accept my skin and it was awful feeling those toxic thoughts creeping back. It makes you believe that you’re some kind of anomaly in this world. That it is weird for you to be able to be on the street sharing moments with your family. I said earlier that initially you feel like a celebrity, but when you sit with the feeling a little longer, it makes you feel more like an attraction. Like rare creatures these people never thought they’d get the chance to see them. When I reflected on it more, most people staring at us were much older. It’s not something I fault them for, but I am aware that it means that they are more prone to making unfair judgements about us. Plus, when you look around, there is a small number of foreigners, even in super touristy places. It now made sense what was happening. It should not happen at all, but it did. We were being approached and looked at because of our skin.    

Growing up in America we see a multitude of cultures each day. My schools did the best they could to make sure that us kids knew just how different we all could be. One of my favorite elementary school memories was when we learned choreographed dances to tell stories around the world. They all had such universal themes and as a child I saw myself as no different than my Hispanic or Asian classmates. Usually when pictures are taken of or with something it’s because I want to commemorate the event. These people had never met me and know nothing about me and my family. There was nothing about our individual character to attract people to us. But the one thing that made us stand out was that we were one of the few black people in the area. It seemed that these people understood that black people existed, but thought it was epic to see up-close.  This saddened me because understanding each other can be so beautiful. Those women who came up did not want pictures because they were fascinated with Black or African culture. Maybe it was a way to get back to friends, and brag about seeing Black people on the street. It also worries me that due to possible prejudice against darker skin, there may be comments about our skin. My trip helped me grow so much as a person. I had never been so immersed in Asian culture before and I’m so thankful to the people that were kind to my family. The food was such a delight and seeing all the sights and the landscape. All those details that made it so different from home, yet I could perfectly understand how it became home for so many. Being exposed to each other should not be seen as a way to collect another trophy, but a way to enrich our lives and deepen our communities. Which is why I sincerely hope for a day when Black skin is not seen as something to gawk at but to accept and celebrate. 

Hi, I'm Clemence a freshman at USF St. Pete campus! I've grown up all over the place including Africa and I'd love to bring that perspective into the articles I write. I love pop culture I think it's so interesting to see what's culturally relevant. Music is also a second passion of mine, my top artists are Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Lucky Daye and Maggie Rogers to name a few.