Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Breaking The Cycle: Addressing Intimate Partner Violence Through Advocacy And Legal Aid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTD chapter.

October was Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Two on-campus organizations, John Marshall Pre-Law Society and Crissa’s Community Outreach, organized an event featuring ADA Ryan Searcey, ADA Amy Derrick, and Samantha Park from Genesis Women’s Shelter.

John Marshall Pre-Law Society is the official UTD pre-law organization. They promote students through their legal journey. They also help students with law school applications, networking opportunities, and overall guidance.  

Crissa’s Community Outreach is an organization dedicated to supporting survivors and breaking the cycle of domestic violence. They focus on education and raising awareness while also providing support through volunteering and fundraising. 

Understanding Intimate Partner Violence: 

Intimate partner violence (IPV) refers to abuse perpetrated by one intimate partner against another in a close romantic relationship. Domestic violence (DV) on the other hand, is a broader term encompassing abuse occurring within family, household, or cohabitating settings as well. It extends beyond just romantic partners to include family members, and those living together nearby.  In contrast to popular belief, both intimate partner violence and domestic violence are not limited to physical abuse. It can include sexual violence, psychological/ emotional abuse, financial abuse, digital/online, and even spiritual. Beyond the obvious scars, these forms of violence inflict extreme psychological and emotional wounds. It is imperative to understand the root causes and societal factors that contribute to such violence to foster awareness. Addressing intimate partner violence and domestic abuse requires a holistic approach, one that combines advocacy, legal aid, and education. 

Advocacy and Education: 

In an effort to minimize the prevalence of intimate partner violence, it is crucial to integrate both effective education and advocacy. Establishing safer environments for victims to share their experiences is paramount. Additionally, fostering a general understanding of key facts in domestic violence situations is essential. Comprehending the contributing factors of domestic abuse, understanding its nature, and recognizing the complexities that may prevent a victim from leaving an abusive relationship are all examples. Blaming the victim is counterproductive, and rectifying this narrative requires proper education. For example, it is commonly stated that the risk of the abuser killing the victim is highest at the time the victim is attempting to leave. Moreover, the role of advocacy is equally important. Advocacy and education are interconnected; they, however, serve different purposes. Advocacy is imperative in creating safe spaces and increasing access to resources. Overall, education and advocacy are critical in reducing the occurrence of domestic abuse. 

Legal Aid: 

Numerous avenues of legal assistance are available to fight domestic violence. Many shelters provide on-side lawyers, to aid individuals in their cases. Furthermore, seeking help is an option. Prosecutors work with victims to pursue cases and secure convictions against abusers. ADA Ryan Searcey and ADA Amy Derrick discussed various legal measures available to UTD students. They emphasized that the district attorney’s office always respects individuals’ decisions regarding prosecution.

Additionally, they explained the common reluctance to prosecute abusers whilst highlighting their commitment to honoring the victim’s wishes. They even went on to explain that delayed prosecutions are frequent and common. Searcey and Derrick talked about the availability of alternative conflict resolution methods. Overall, diverse forms of legal aid are available, and individuals should not fear district attorneys or lawyers as they hold immense dedication to assisting their community

Resources: 

There are many resources available to those seeking help. Samantha Park from Genesis Women’s Shelter came to speak about such a place. The Genesis Women’s Shelter, as the name suggests, is a shelter for women and children. They have plentiful resources to aid those in need. They provide emergency shelters, transitional housing, counseling services, on-site childcare and preschools, occupational therapy, and even community education. Moreover, they have a 24-hour helpline for everyone. 

October was domestic violence but unfortunately, with the prevalence of domestic abuse cases around the country the conversation surrounding this cannot end like the month did. There are, however, many ways to help the fight against intimate partner violence. All of us must participate and learn in whatever way possible. 

Heyy I’m the President of Her Campus UTD, juggling the world of words and numbers as an economics major on the pre-law track. I believe in the power to entertain and empower using words. So, join me in this adventure and let’s write our story together one article at a time!