2024 is the year women dominate the music industry. Here are my top 3 favorite albums so far this year.

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Women in the music industry have been killing it recently. As we come closer to the 2025 Grammy Awards, people have been wondering who will receive the Album of The Year Award. While I can’t give you the answer to that question, I will list my top 3 albums so far out of the year. And the best part is, they are all from women.

3. eternal sunshine by ariana grande

At #3, we have Ariana Grande’s 7th studio album, Eternal Sunshine, which was released on March 8, 2024. Ariana released “yes and?” as her single for this album and the world freaked out as she hadn’t released music since October of 2020 with her 6th studio album, “Positions.” Fans (including myself) waited for this album for 4 years, due to her filming her upcoming movie, “Wicked.” I remember staying up and listening to this album when it was first released.The production of this album was exquisite and was a new vibe I got from Ariana. The lyrics were raw and simple, yet, I understand her vulnerability. On top of that, the music video for “We can’t be friends (wait for your love)” got me emotional. I thought this was going to be my favorite album of the year, but boy, did I have more coming for me.

One of my favorites from her album, “Eternal Sunshine.”

2. Short n’ Sweet by sabrina carpenter

Sabrina Carpenter released her 6th studio album, “Short n’ Sweet” and it was one of the most anticipated albums of the year. Sabrina slowly blew up from her songs like “Nonsense” and “Feather” from her 5th studio album, “emails i cant send,” but the song that really blew her up was “Espresso” and “Please Please Please.” When I first listened to this album, I had no idea what to expect. I never sat down and listened to a Sabrina Carpenter album so I was going in blind essentially. And let me tell, she did not disappoint. I was mind blown by this album and loved the production of this album as well. The funky beats and 90s inspired aesthetic made the album even more magical. She was definitely working late on this album (maybe cause she’s a singer, who knows).

One of my favorites from her album, “Short n’ Sweet.”

1. Hit me hard and soft by billie eilish

As someone who had been a Billie Eilish fan since 2018, this album changed my life. Billie Eilish released her 3rd studio album, “Hit Me Hard And Soft.” The writing from this album is truly amazing and her vocals were something like I never heard before from her. There are so many songs from this album that got popular really quickly such as “Birds of a Feather,” “Chihiro,” and so much more. The production on the album blew my mind and it got me listening to the whole album for a couple of months now. She created this atmosphere on her album that was different from her usual style, yet interesting. The EDM style in the productions makes you feel like you are being transport in another dimension. This album is truly one of her best work.

One of my favorites from her album, “HIT ME HARD AND SOFT.”

With 2024 coming to an end in under 3 months, I believe all women can agree that this year is the year for women in the music industry. Until then, we shall wait and see who will will the Album of The Year Award at the 2025 Grammy Awards.

I love dogs, baking, and romance books. I also love Ariana Grande. <3