Wellness > Health

It’s Okay to Ask for Help (And Where to Find It)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

By: Sam Lacey

It’s okay to ask for help. Really. As we navigate the current global climate around women’s rights and domestic violence in the wake of the #MeToo movement, it can seem like a scary prospect to ask for help if you are in a dangerous situation. The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV) reports that, on average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. However, according to the NCADV, only 34% of people who are injured by intimate partners receive medical care for their injuries.  Although it’s scary to think about ever being in a domestic violence situation, many resources (in Burlington and beyond) are available to help survivors. Compiled here are a few of them should you ever be in need.

HOPE Works

HOPE Works is an organization dedicated to ending all forms of sexual violence and is committed to serving the needs of the Chittenden County community through crisis counseling and advocacy for survivors. HOPE Works strives to use its platform to change the attitudes and beliefs that perpetuate domestic violence in the Chittenden County area. Their organization focuses on healing, outreach, empowerment, and prevention methods to help create a safe space for survivors to heal and grow after domestic violence situations. Their 24/7 hotline is available at 802-863-1236 or visit their website at https://hopeworksvt.org/ to chat with an advocate. 

StepsVT

StepsVT is an organization that seeks to assist domestic violence survivors in transitioning to a safe and independent lifestyle and promote a culture of justice and equality in the Greater Burlington area. They provide services, support, and education to end domestic violence in Vermont. If you need help their phone number is 802-658-1996 or you can chat with a Steps advocate online at https://www.stepsvt.org/mission

Vermont Network Against Domestic and Sexual Violence

The Vermont Network is the leading voice in Vermont regarding domestic and sexual violence. They offer events, training, written resources, and direct help for those in need. While the Network is based in Montpelier, it is a statewide organization of local non-profit organizations that helps develop and support domestic violence education around Vermont. If you are unsure of what resources are near you or need any general information regarding support opportunities, visit the Vermont Network online at https://www.vtnetwork.org/ or call them at (802) 223-1302.

National Domestic Violence Hotline

In case you need direct help as soon as possible, the national domestic violence hotline number is 800-799-7233. If it’s easier, you can text START to 88788 to start talking to an advocate. The National Domestic Violence Hotline is available 24/7/365, and offers advocacy and assistance in English, Spanish, and other languages via interpretation, making it accessible to all.

Again, it’s okay to ask for help. If you or someone you know finds themselves in a domestic violence situation, you should know that the organizations above have your back and are waiting to help you grow and heal. All of the organizations above also have easy exit buttons on their websites in case you ever need them when finding support resources. While domestic violence awareness can seem like an awkward or embarrassing topic to talk about, support resources exist to help survivors in the Chittenden County area.

Edited by Annie Stibora

Sam Lacey is a current third-year student at the University of Vermont majoring in Public Communications with a concentration in Strategic Writing. Sam loves all things music and film-related, and is also the manager of UVM's alternative radio station, WRUV. She's super excited to write for HerCampus (which she's been dreaming of since she was 16).