How to Keep Up With Your New Year Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Transitioning into 2016 we were all frequently asked the question (more than we should have been), “What’s your New Year Resolution?” Some common resolutions for us UW-La Crosse students might have went along the lines of quitting bad habits, like cigarettes or excessive drinking, losing weight, eating healthier and/or just becoming a happier person overall.

Making a New Year Resolution is the easy part; Sticking with it is the hard part. According to the Statistic Brain Research Institute, only 64% of New Year Resolutions last over one month. With February already here some us may be losing motivation, so here are some easy ways to keep up with your New Year Resolution.

Reward Yourself

This doesn’t mean stuff your face with chips from your apartment cupboard or get seconds on dessert at Whitney dining hall (even if those mouthwatering chocolate chip cookies seem to keep calling your name). This means celebrate your success by treating yourself in a way that won’t contradict your resolution. Buy that new shirt you’ve been eyeing at the mall, or go out for ice cream at the Pearl in downtown La Crosse.

Cheat Days

You don’t have to commit to your resolution every day of every week this year. Sometimes a little R&R is exactly what you need to find that motivation you’ve been looking for.

Forgive Yourself

It’s okay if you’ve already given up or slipped up on your New Year Resolution. As Hannah Montana once said: “Everybody makes mistakes.” Don’t be hard on yourself, and try again!

Talk About It

Express how your resolution is going with your family and friends. They can help keep you accountable in seeing your resolution through. Post about it on social media like Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram. Don’t be afraid to post those before and after pictures!

Don’t Do It Alone

Get support from your family and friends. As Helen Keller once said, “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” Whether it is gaining inspiration by just talking to others about your resolution or having someone join you in your resolution, there is always strength in numbers.

Visualize

Lifestyle changes can be hard to overcome, and big goals can be overwhelming. Just imagine how good you will feel when you finally put on those old jeans that don’t fit right now.

Make It Smaller

Maybe your New Year Resolution is difficult to achieve because it is too big of a goal. If so, simplify your goal to something more realistic. Making one change at a time will make it easier to achieve your overall big goal.

Stick To It

Health Psychologists and Researchers at University College London did a study that figured out, on average, it takes exactly 66 days for a new behavior to become automatic. Forming a new habit can depend on the person and the circumstance, but overall it is about two months. So when you feel like losing hope, just remember you’re really close to making your New Year Resolution a habit. Keep pushing through!