Wellness > Mental Health

Take a Minute, Take a Breath, Take Care of Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

With midterms taking over our lives and spring break right around the corner, it’s easy for us to forget about our mental health and well-being. The semester has reached a point where it’s become all work and no play. Whether your midterms week is full of tests, projects, or papers, it’s definitely taking a toll on you. 

During midterms, my daily schedule hasn’t changed. I’m still hanging out with my friends, getting about 7 hours of sleep each night, and going to all of my classes. However, I’m finding myself feeling tired more often throughout the day and losing patience with my schoolwork. The ‘little me’ in my head that tells me to take care of myself is being silenced by all the other things I have to do. Here are some things that help me remember to give ‘little me’ a voice. 

With three tests in one week and three papers the next, I am constantly forgetting to take a moment for myself. I am continuously spending my time researching or studying without taking breaks. One of my favorite ways to make sure I am taking time for myself is by working out.  I’m currently on a SoulCycle kick, which means I have to buy class packs each week in order to attend a class, and those packs expire after 30 days. When I book a bike for a SoulCycle class, I am charged for it whether or not I show up. Since I’ve already paid for it, I am much more likely to show up. The workout allows my brain to take a break while my body can work off any pent-up energy from sitting in class and studying all day. 

I’ve found that designating time to forget about school is the key to my mental well-being when I’m feeling overwhelmed, especially during midterms. I don’t rush myself, I don’t push myself too hard during class, and I especially don’t feel guilty for taking a break from my schoolwork. My time to work out is just that: time to work out, and nothing else. 

Something else that college students often struggle with, especially as school picks up, is eating enough and eating well. The dining hall won’t always be able to cater to each person’s needs and wants, so it’s important to plan your meals for the week to eliminate stress and fuel your body. Making a meal can be extremely overwhelming, even without the added stress of schoolwork and other responsibilities. I try to plan only one or two complicated meals each week, and the rest are simple and can take under 20 minutes to cook. 

A current favorite, easy meal of mine is the salmon rice bowl that went viral on TikTok in 2021. I make salmon in the oven, which takes 12 minutes and cook rice on the stove, which takes 15 minutes. Add in some avocado, spicy mayo, and seaweed, and you’ve got a full meal in under 20 minutes. If I spend more time on dinner, I will spend less time on lunch by either picking up takeout or making something simple like a yogurt bowl with fun toppings.

The point is not necessarily what you’re eating, but rather that you’re making time to eat at all. Without three full, nutrient-rich meals each day, you will quickly lose energy and brain power, which will only negatively affect your schoolwork. 

As college students, there is a lot expected of us each day. We need to attend all of our classes, finish our schoolwork, and make time for friends and family. All of these responsibilities can make it seemingly impossible to make time for ourselves. This is your reminder to take a minute, take a breath, and give yourself a break. Feed yourself, get a workout in, or read a good book, and make sure to keep sleeping. You will make it through midterms if you prioritize yourself too! 

Tallulah Laska

Villanova '24

Tallulah loves all things lifestyle, health, and wellness. She is passionate self-love and prioritizing happiness. She aspires to be a physician so she can help people be the best version of themselves.