Books To Read During Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Trigger warning — this article contains information about abuse, sexual assault, grief and death.

Women’s History Month is a month when we get to celebrate women’s role in history. I read a lot of books written by women in general, but I’ve read many of them in March especially. I encourage you to go read a book written by your favorite female author or by a new one. There are tons of books you could choose from in honor of Women’s History Month, and I have compiled my top ten books written by and about women for you to read at your pleasure this month. These books are in no specific order because I love all these books and refuse to order them. There are books on this list from all different types of genres, so there’s something for everyone.

Educated by Tara Westover

Educated is the best memoir I’ve read. To be fair, I don’t read a lot of nonfiction, and this novel reads like a fiction book in my opinion. This novel gave me the motivation to continue pursuing my degree and schooling. Also, Westover’s journey is pretty incredible and highly entertaining.

That summer by jennifer weiner

I’ve read a few books by Weiner, and this is by far my favorite one. This story revolves around a sexual assault. The novel shows the aftermath of it and all the people it affected. It is really well written and one of my favorite novels of all time. I will say take care when you read this because it can be intense at some parts, and I had a hard time reading some of them.

kindred by octavia e. butler

I read this last semester for my feminisms, fugitivity and futurity class, and it was one of the best books I read last year. This novel falls under science fiction — which I also don’t read a ton of — but I enjoyed this book. Some of the topics can be hard to read, so take care when reading this.

get a life chloe brown by talia hibbert

A romance — it is one of my favorite romance books, and I read a ton of romances. This is the first book in a trilogy and features chronic illness representation. It also has a good amount of steam in it. 

legendborn by tracy deonn

I believe this book falls under the young adult (YA) genre, and it got a decent amount of hype on BookTok. It’s a modern King Arthur retelling. This is the first book in the series, and the others have not come out yet. It’s so good, and anyone who is a fan of fantasy YA will love it.

the handmaid’s tale by margaret atwood

I love Margaret Atwood, and this is her most popular book for a good reason. This is a dystopian novel, and it’s scary — but not in the ghouls and monsters sort of way. Once again, this is one of my all-time favorite novels. It is a book I believe all women should read at least once in their lifetime.

Shatter me by Tahereh Mafi

I know this series got a lot of hype on BookTok for a bit, but in my opinion, it was well-deserved. One, I love Tahereh Mafi, and she is one of my favorite authors. Two, I love the storyline. This is also a YA fantasy story, and it follows a powerful female lead. 

salvage the bones by jesmyn ward

This is another book I had to read for a class and ended up loving. I believe this novel just falls under fiction, and it’s very well written and also kind of makes your heart hurt throughout the novel. 

lovely war by julie berry

This is probably my favorite book. Although it’s kind of cheating because the novel goes through different points of view and not all of them are of women, I decided to add it. This story is told through the narrations of Aphrodite, and it’s a love story that takes place in World War I. This falls under historical fiction and also fantasy. This novel is so beautifully written and made me sob like a baby — highly recommend. 

the seven husbands of evelyn hugo by taylor jenkins reid

This book has gotten so much hype from everywhere, and it is for a great reason. This book made me sob at multiple different points. This is another romance and historical fiction story. Be warned — if you haven’t read it, this book will infuriate you and make you sad, but you’ll love it.

I hope this list helps you find something to read this month. Happy Women’s History Month!

Emily Barber

Virginia Tech '23

I am a senior at Virginia Tech majoring in English and Creative Writing. If I'm not reading a book, I'm usually crocheting or tending to my plants.