Wasia Project’s EP ‘Isotope’ is out and my mood is swinging

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Warwick chapter.

For those who may not be familiar, Wasia Project (or as I’ll refer to them in this article, WP) is an alt-pop, with hints of jazz, sibling duo: Olivia Hardy and William Gao. They perform alongside Tom Pacitti on bass and Luca Wade on the drums, and their music is, quite frankly, magical. I was first introduced to them 2 years ago when I was researching the cast of Heartstopper, an LGBTQ+ comic turned into a series on Netflix, as Will was cast to play the stubborn but fiercely loyal Tao Xu. “ur so pretty” made me emotional, but it was “impossible” that hooked me on the band. Since then, I have been to 2 concerts, and I’m simply obsessed with their music.

“Isotope” is Wasia Projects’ second EP, the first being “how can i pretend?” which only consisted of 4 songs, one being a demo. This is a massive step in the right direction for Wasia Project as a band, especially as their song “ur so pretty” played at the end of Heartstopper Season 2. Between that, their alternative, indie styles and their amazing musical talent, WP is slowly becoming a favourite of the masses. But what is their new EP like, and what do the songs entail? Luckily for you, this is my not-very-musical but very ‘this is how each song made me feel’ review of Wasia Project’s “Isotope”.

Is this what love is?

The first song on the EP, and one that was previously released as a single, is WP’s “Is This What Love Is?”. In my opinion, it is a sorrowful reflection on the complexities of love which is particularly seen by its beautiful similes: “The feeling overflows me like a fountain or an avalanche on a mountain”. Olivia’s goddess-like, ethereal vocals bring out the pensive details of the song. The minimalistic instrumentation gave me the impression that I was floating and spinning, which was not ideal when I was listening to the song on a treadmill. However, by the end, I felt a strong urge to run away, which made the song feel almost like the stages of a relationship. This upbeat song expresses the youthful realisation of what love truly is, which includes both its beauty and its despair, as well as the emotional upheaval it causes, particularly to those who have been hurt in the past: “Will you always care for me this way?”. 9/10, extremely deep and meaningful.

Takes me back home

The second track on the EP is “Takes Me Back Home”, a mellow, sentimental song that stirred up strong emotions within me, connected to family and longing. As a university student, it immediately made me think of home and the security it provides through its emotive and meaningful vocals: “to take me back home and make me feel warm”. The lyrics, which are particularly poignant for individuals who are grieving or miss their home, discuss growing up, the importance of family, and the bittersweet memories connected to loved ones. It also has undertones of ‘home’ being related to one person, who makes oneself feel at home by simply being in their presence: “See how he looks at me, feel electricity race through my bones”. The song conveys the feeling of being lost and looking for solace whilst leaving listeners with a heartbreaking sensation of warmth and loneliness. As I write this analysis, I am listening to the song SOBBING my heart out. 10/10, absolutely stunning.

Isotope

Oh my god, when they use the EP name for a song moment. Now, upon researching and having to read about science again, an element that has the same number of protons but a different number of neutrons, resulting in a variation in atomic mass, is called an isotope. However, WP’s “Isotope” is a vibey instrumental song ideal, in my opinion, for relaxing with friends. Olivia’s sheer talent is highlighted by her dramatic background singing and the rich instrumentation for the wordless song is simply insane, focusing on mood rather than lyrics. Using the isotope as a metaphor may represent the several layers to an individual’s identity, emphasising how we can transform or progress whilst remaining essentially unchanged at our core, meaning the song, and EP as a whole, subtly alludes to identity and metamorphosis, offering listeners a preview of the album’s deeper dive into self-discovery. Is this Will’s way of saying that, no matter how famous he gets, he will stay unchanged at his core? Ignoring my deep analysis, it’s the perfect song for unwinding, and its nuanced sound and laid-back attitude pique interest in the album’s main ideas of identity. 8/10, a lot of depth.

Somebody come through

Now, this song felt like a personal attack, as “Somebody Come Through” describes the motion of meeting someone who makes you feel insecure without them, causing you to feel deep loneliness and want for their presence: “Why did I have to meet you? I was happy where I was”. They successfully sum up the experience of having a crush on someone, fantasising about them, and being unbalanced by their influence. It deals with attachment issues, stressing the need to have company all the time and how lonely it can feel to be without love: “Why do I still feel like nothing ever changes? How do I fall for it every time?”. The track’s themes of vulnerability, longing, and the turbulent emotions associated with the desire for a meaningful relationship are accentuated by the sorrowful vocals and ambient instrumentals. 10/10, never felt so attacked in my life.

to get better

Hearing this song start playing nearly made me fall face-first on my treadmill. My fellow WP fans will have shared the excitement I felt hearing Will start singing; we haven’t had this since “Misfit Biscuit”, okay!! Although I didn’t fall over on the treadmill, I did tear up, as “To Get Better” explores individual growth and recovery, particularly when motivated to actually get better: “‘Cause I’m really really trying to get better”. It discusses coping mechanisms and mental illness, reflecting on the battle to overcome difficulties and concentrate on healing: “The superficial cigarettes”. I felt like hugging myself and swaying around the room aimlessly due to the heartfelt lyrics and mellow music. This song speaks to people who are finding their paths to improvement and provides consolation, as well as a feeling of community during the healing process: “How things change, I don’t wanna be with me anymore”. 9/10, I felt extremely seen.

When I first saw the title of this song I thought, ‘oh wow, how mysterious’. I had no clue how correct I was. The introspective, minimalistic song “…” has hauntingly beautiful vocals that imply themes of doubt and self-reflection. The song’s subtle instrumentation accentuates a sense of vulnerability and reflection, creating images of being lost or looking for purpose. The song includes harmonies from both Will and Olivia, deepening the emotional impact and offering consolation by adding a layer of support and concern, especially after the message that was portrayed in “To Get Better”. This song strikes a chord with listeners due to its moving depiction of inner turmoil and the silent message of self-discovery, which is enhanced by the comforting and loving vocals. 8/10, this is the best order for an EP I’ve ever seen.

Tell me lies (fin)

When I first listened to this song, I had to check I hadn’t accidentally clicked on a piece from a random orchestra. WP’s song “Tell Me Lies” is simply breathtaking. The music is the perfect blend of violin and piano, with the violin’s ethereal beauty and the piano’s melancholy undertones producing an intense and compelling song. A strong, enduring bond is highlighted by the inclusion of children’s voices and powerful orchestral parts, creating imagery of intertwining lives in my mind. This could represent the pair’s connection as siblings, highlighting that, no matter where they are in life, they will always be side-by-side. These components all come together to provide a very poignant listening experience that had me hooked from beginning to end. 10/10, I also love my siblings and love WP’s talent.

Final thoughts

Honestly, getting straight to the point, I thought this EP was amazing. It has the right amount of grunge and ethereality whilst also displaying their outstanding talent. You can really tell that the pair came from a classical background and wanted to make that alternative and relatable, and I’m personally eating it up. If you have a second, give this EP a listen, and if you are too busy, listen to it anyway!

Olivia Offer

Warwick '25

Hi, I'm Olivia, but you can call me Liv, and I study English Literature at the University of Warwick! I'm grateful to say that I am the Campus Correspondent this year, so if you ever need any anything I'm here to help! Her Campus is an amazing space for anyone to get their work and voice heard and I'm super excited to see what everyone writes. I hope to mainly write about my interests- anime, books, and human rights- as well as what is going on at Warwick. Super excited to be here!