Life > Academics

On Writing a Masterpiece as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Everyone has bankable ideas. New products, new movies, etc. How many of those ideas flash in our minds without a second thought? I’m always thinking of what I’d create. Maybe a book series, maybe I’d be a screenwriter. Perhaps I’ve taken it too far, picturing how I would look at the Oscars or who I’d cast when my novels get adapted into a motion picture…

But all that dreaming leads back to a reality-shattering question: How do I actually get started?

Any number of ideas are flittering around in my head. A mix of organized chaos as I can always quickly identify my first thought and what it developed into, but it can never stay in the filing drawer I “created” for it. It’s as if these worlds and people are living on their own, continually developing without my conscience’s hand. But once I catch one of those ideas, it’s captured in a Notes app, the words sometimes flying out without cohesion. 

But if you’re the artsy type, a backpack full of notebooks, sketchbooks, colorful pens, and pencils, grab one and write it down, even in an inconvenient moment. During class may not seem like a proper time for inspiration to strike, but the two minutes it will take to jot down that idea are worth it, I swear. Even right before bed, in that space between dreams and being awake, an idea may float by. Maybe keep a journal near your bed, if possible. Once again, a phone works as a perfect substitute in this situation, so if you need to add your new, ground-breaking twist in the morning, that’s a better sacrifice than forgetting during the night.

Did you know that your right brain – the creative, imaginative side – gets stimulated in places like a classroom or even when doing mundane chores like laundry? That’s because you are using your left brain which thinks in words, logic, math, and all things linear. Occupying that space with your 8:30, which may not seem ideal, actually opens your creativity. 

If, in this hypothetical 8:30 on a Tuesday morning, genius hits you, check out the website Campfire. This is for all of my creative writers out there. Even the base level offers great chances of working through family trees, character motivations, plot lines, and even things you might not have considered. Everything is divided into sections to keep your work organized, but there are plenty of places to simply jot down new names, places, and more as soon as the word or image flashes in your mind.

With the stress of classes, tests, midterms, and about a million other little things, you can forget about the beauty and calming nature of writing. You don’t have to schedule time in your day to work on your masterpiece, every step you take towards it is enough. If any of these ideas stand out to you, give them a try, and mix writing for fun in with writing for a grade.

Eliza Disbrow

Washington '26

Eliza Disbrow is a sophomore at the University of Washington with a plan to major in European Studies with a double minor in Spanish and business. Eliza is a writer, covering a variety of topics, from music, to books, to anime. Beyond Her Campus, Eliza serves as the co-vice president of the University of Washington Euro Club. In her free time, Eliza can be seen taking in the sights of Seattle on any of the available forms of public transportation, normally with a book in hand and headphones in her ears. She plays guitar and bass, mainly as an excuse to play either Fall Out Boy or Ghost to family and friends.